The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Freezing Up (literall)

Dennis raises a good point. Personally I know of the reels, but never actually used one .... Isn't Google wonderful? Found this bit and now I really have to wonder where enough water could collect to freeze.

http://waterworks-lamson.com/wp-cont...al_Details.pdf
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Dennis raises a good point. Personally I know of the reels, but never actually used one .... Isn't Google wonderful? Found this bit and now I really have to wonder where enough water could collect to freeze.

http://waterworks-lamson.com/wp-cont...al_Details.pdf

Looking at that diagram it was freezing between the rim of the spool and that lower section of the frame, directly below the drag enclosure. I think Ard nailed the reason it was water from the line as I reeled it in.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't doubt that for a second, but still darned 'unusual' unless it REALLY COLD! If conditions permit I know a lot of guys will go to a full floater during this type of weather so they don't have to 'strip line' for the next cast.

Odd part is you can get slow through fast (full) sinking lines but, save for me, I don't recall ever seeing someone use one. Even then (me) only during Spring King Salmon season where it's 'deep, down, and dirty (not the water) or "fergetaboutit" time.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

This is one of the things I love about Click and Pawls for Great Lakes Steelhead. It gets cold up here in November thru March. I've never had my St. John, Zenith or Taupo freeze on me. I've seen many great SW reels freeze (especially cork drags) and a feel supposedly sealed synthetic drag reels freeze or worse free-spool too. The old Hardy Angel was a great conventional reel in this regard. You could not freeze that reel. To be freeze proof you need a sealed synthetic drag and close tolerances.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I did reel in a ton of wet line. I guess I can sort of blame you Ard (hahaha I am funny). I was reading a thread about hand stripping line vs. using the reel to bring fish in. I have always been a hand stripper so yesterday I wanted to try and see if I could do better using the reel more. Well it froze up and I lost a few fish from it freezing up, sslack would pick up and off the fish went.
I'm sorry if I was at the root of this

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm sorry if I was at the root of this
All is well, I was just having a little fun. I learn so much from all you guys and gals here, it is ironic I try something new on a day its snowing and I am so dense I didnt even realize what I was doing to cause this.

Wierdest part really is ive fished a few times while it was snowing and cold around 25 degrees and never had anything ice up. Yesterday was a whole other matter.

I do have to say the Rainbows around here in late fall / early spring when the wateris real cold, man their clors are pretty, real vibrant.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been fishing them here too and likewise they are a sight. Once I gather enough pictures from the small creeks I'll write a blog entry and also post to the small streams and stories thread. I'm waiting for a big one to grab that fly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

It's kind of a catch-22 sometimes... Yep, you get all that wet line in the reel and it starts to freeze up...when the guides freeze you just dunk them in the stream, but if you do that with the reel it just gets worse. The most comical part of this is my frozen net sticking straight out behind me.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Reading this thread has made me chuckle; and Lord knows I need a smile at this time. Cold enough to freeze a reel .... this week is the first time (here in Southern Oregon) that afternoon temps haven't been in the 80's.

Two weeks ago we were still in the 90's. (One day actually hit 100.)