The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Reel Freezing Up (literall)

Was fishing in the snow today, I have read alot of your stories of the guides freezing up. However my Lamson Guru was freezing up, a quick tug or two on the line broke it free.

Ive never heard you guys mention your reels freezing up ( that I can remember).....is this normal ?

PS realized today I need some gloves.....brrrrr that got cold
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Reel Freezing Up (literall)

Yes sir, simply one of the joys of winter fishing.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Darn, I was hoping I "NEEDED" a new reel

Oh well , I guess I will just get some gloves and enjoy the ice
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

A new reel definitely wouldn't hurt haha. Have anything in mind?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I fished for many winters using either a hardy Featherweight or a CFO III as my reel. When I say winters I lived in Pennsylvania and fly fished through the 1979 - 2004 seasons using those 2 reels. back then I learned that if the expected high wasn't to be much over 30* for the day the ice in the line guide thing would be a significant problem. However I never had a reel freeze up.

There must be something at the root of the problem; are you allowing the reel to be submerged, reeling in the wet fly line repeatedly? As for allowing a reel to be dipped as I see when I look at pictures of people with fish, I never did that. Many fellows figure that 'hey it's a reel' so what the heck but i only remember dunking one once by accident. If the reel had enough water on & in it to freeze solid, then it has to be getting wet somehow. Eliminate the source of the water and you'll eliminate the problem

I was not an older man before I realized that trying to fly fish in freezing temperatures didn't make sense and wasn't that much fun. That's only my opinion and I don't mean to disparage you if you in fact enjoy it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

When I was in CO a couple years ago it was soo cold at the lkae we were fishing that the fly line frooze solid during my cast so instead of a nice pretty loop, i had a 25' foot straight stick pivoting off the end of my flyrod. it also turned my WF in a sinking line, itd hit the water sink, melt the ice then start to float again.
fredaevans likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I fished for many winters using either a hardy Featherweight or a CFO III as my reel. When I say winters I lived in Pennsylvania and fly fished through the 1979 - 2004 seasons using those 2 reels. back then I learned that if the expected high wasn't to be much over 30* for the day the ice in the line guide thing would be a significant problem. However I never had a reel freeze up.

There must be something at the root of the problem; are you allowing the reel to be submerged, reeling in the wet fly line repeatedly? As for allowing a reel to be dipped as I see when I look at pictures of people with fish, I never did that. Many fellows figure that 'hey it's a reel' so what the heck but i only remember dunking one once by accident. If the reel had enough water on & in it to freeze solid, then it has to be getting wet somehow. Eliminate the source of the water and you'll eliminate the problem

I was not an older man before I realized that trying to fly fish in freezing temperatures didn't make sense and wasn't that much fun. That's only my opinion and I don't mean to disparage you if you in fact enjoy it.

Ard

I did reel in a ton of wet line. I guess I can sort of blame you Ard (hahaha I am funny). I was reading a thread about hand stripping line vs. using the reel to bring fish in. I have always been a hand stripper so yesterday I wanted to try and see if I could do better using the reel more. Well it froze up and I lost a few fish from it freezing up, sslack would pick up and off the fish went.

I am not a huge fan of standing in frozen water in a snowstorm but if I don't try and get out this winter , it will be another year of me not fishing from Oct-Mar and I need my sanity. Work,life,family is all so dang busy I need a few hours of "me time"
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of an open question. With reel designs as they are there's damned little in the way of places enough water could be stored to actually freeze. But what kind of lubricant are you using in the reel? If it's grease, thoroughly clean it all out and use a very light oil instead.

fae
mrfzx likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Lamson drag is sealed when the spool is seated on the reel. Water should not be in the drag cavity. I would contact a Lamson tech for some feedback.

Dennis

Edit: Lamson does not recommend lubing its reels. Some lubes can gunk up inside of the cavity. Lamson will gladly service the drag system with whatever house lube it uses.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM

So I guess I should clarify it wasn't the drag, it was the spool to the reel frame.