The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM

kc8qvo is on a distinguished road
Default Waterworks Lamson reels - experiences?

There are 3 Lamson reels I am looking at:
Lightspeed
Speedster
Velocity (in nickel)

Does anyone have experience with them? How does the conical drag seem to work? Any maintenance issues? Items to be concerned with?

All would be for 10wt.

I am going to check with the local fly shop to see if they carry them. They told me they could get me anything I wanted, but something tells me these reels aren't store sold items (at least not in the midwest).
Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Waterworks Lamson reels - experiences?

Every time I go in for a new reel, I seem to leave with a Lamson! I love the drag system, my Guru 3.5 has been dropped 5-6' in to the rocks and landed right on the edge of the spool and it still funtions perfectly. The drag is plenty to keep control of Albies, even on my 8wt I have no problem. Bang for buck, the Lamsons can't be beat. Even if they were more costly, they would be well worth it.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

At the 10 weight and up, I use Abels. They cost a whole lot more, but they are just too darn reliable.

If you choose to use a Lamson, make sure it is a Velocity or higher end model in the #4 size. What you will gain at that size is the larger cone and bearing set up. That will increase the braking power.

I would not recommend any of those models if you are going to have a fish take your line deep into the backing. I saw a Velocity arbor get crushed when a Dorado took the guy's line into the backing. The spool ended up popping off the reel.

What do you intend on using this reel for?

Dennis
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM

kc8qvo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
What do you intend on using this reel for?
Everything my 6wt can't handle. Mostly Pike, Muskie. I also want a set up that can run in salt water well. My goal for the weight is to have horsepower for bigger flies, but I don't want a reel that will fail either.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

That is weird Mosca, Albies routinely take my line deep in to the backing and I have never had any issues at all. I would have got the Guru 4 if they had them in stock but the 3.5 has handled perfectly.

Btw, not trying to sell you on the Guru. Just pointing out that even the less expensive models of the Lamsons are awesome.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
That is weird Mosca, Albies routinely take my line deep in to the backing and I have never had any issues at all. I would have got the Guru 4 if they had them in stock but the 3.5 has handled perfectly.
I'm not sure how deep you have gone into the backing.

The reel that I have seen it happened to had backing drop to the last few wraps. When the person tried to reel in some mid sized Dorado (around 20 to 25 pounds), the pressure on the arbor would cause it to cave in therefore distorting the spool. At the same time, the spool would pop right off. That would not happen to an Abel, Tibor, or an Islander.

The issue is that Lamson machines its arbors really thin in order to save weight. The arbor of my Abel Super 6 is as thick if not thicker than the arbors on some 9 to 10 weight rated Lamson reels.

I have had to send more than one spool back to Lamson in a six year period due to this issue.

If there is a theme here. Don't let your Lamson get down to the last few wraps of backing. You might be in for a rude awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qvo View Post
Everything my 6wt can't handle. Mostly Pike, Muskie. I also want a set up that can run in salt water well. My goal for the weight is to have horsepower for bigger flies, but I don't want a reel that will fail either.
For pike and muskie, the reel should be fine.

The way that I look at it is that if you let your fish take more than half of backing, you should had broken off that fish a long time ago.

Dennis
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Brand preferences aside, MP's point is right on here. As has often been mentioned, Waterworks/Lamson reels are very light and radically wide/shallow in their spool design (the new Speedster being a step in the direction of departure from this). This is all fine for trout fishing, if you like that approach, however, it is very rare that a design is scalable from trout to tarpon. A skilled angler can make any tackle work but if one is shopping for a saltwater capable #10 reel there are numerous more appropriate choices designed for such rigors.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

I was called back to my e-mail while writing this comment as I am in the midst of organizing a party of 12 to fish out of Montauk next week with an armada of four Captains of (mixed) reputation. I will report afterwards but though I anticipate there will be some exotic and unanticipated reels aboard these craft in addition to the usual proven Abels and Tibors, I'll bet non will be Waterworks products.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM

I think that would be the least of my worries because like you said, the fish would have been broken off long before I get to that point. That is good to know, although anything over 10wt I would be using a Nautilus anyways. If you catch a pike that you need more than a Lamson for, that will be one amazing fish.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

I am huge fan of WL reels. The Speedster looks very promising design wise as it incorporates a narrower spool than usual on a WL. As for the drag, I personally think it is the best there is.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM

20lb_steelie is on a distinguished road

I've fished with the Guru 2 and 3 for everything from small trout to large steelhead. Can't go wrong with the Lamsons.