The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nautilus FWX Fragility?

I am fishing A Hydros on my #6 ECHO3 and an FWX 5/6 on one of my 5-weights. These are surprisingly different reels...though they both do what they are supposed to do. Both have more than enough drag for any trout situation but the Hydros drag knob is ill suited to fine tuning; a small bit of rotation yields quite a change in drag setting. Hydros has handled the knock about of drift boat abuse without a hick up but compare to the supremely fine tunable, aesthetically charming and light weight Florida-built FWX, Chinese-made Hydros is a clunker. Its weight is just right for the ECHO though and it will continue to see use but is a far cry from the reel pleasure offered by the Nautilus. I have heard rumors that a third generation FWX is in the offing with an expanded drag range and other updates. Though there are many good trout reels, in this mid $200 range the FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD are in a class by themselves.
sbreech likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

How is the durability of the finish on these. I will be getting a reel for my new rod within a few months. No hurry as the rivers are frozen over.

I wanted a Ross Evolution but I have a few of those so I wanted to try something new. I have Lamson reels, they are solid but I don't really care for the wide shallow spool design. Not the end of the world I just put less backing on since it is for 3&4wt rods. The new speedster seems to take care of that by design.

Nautilus FWX and Lamson speedster seem to have similar design, sizes and overall weight. The speedster is the Hard Alox finish which is a plus for my taste as I am a little fussy with my stuff. How does the finish on the Nautilus hold up for those of you that own one? Does it ding and scratch easy.

I know a few scratches isnt going to hamper my ability to wrangle 8" Brookies and the occasional 14" Brown, but I am fussy about stuff I spend good money on.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 AM
sbreech

This will be my third year with the FWX reels, and they still look new. I'd say I'm average rough with them. They take dunks in the river, occasional bumps on rocks and stumps as I set them down, have fallen over by the car getting ready, etc etc. I take care of them, but life happens, and they seem to be taking life's mishaps in stride.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
This will be my third year with the FWX reels, and they still look new. I'd say I'm average rough with them. They take dunks in the river, occasional bumps on rocks and stumps as I set them down, have fallen over by the car getting ready, etc etc. I take care of them, but life happens, and they seem to be taking life's mishaps in stride.
Good to know, I am not hard on my stuff but general wear and tear. Mine take the dunks, the tree bumps, laid down for the obligatory look at my fish picture etc etc.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson