The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Nautilus FWX Fragility?

I am buying a new setup that will see a lot of saltwater use on the flats, and will need to stand up to a lot of abuse. The reel needs to be light to balance a Temple Fork BVK, but strong. The FWX 7/8 seems like a good bet, but I am curious how these stand up to the rigors of nearly everyday fishing? I.e. I've had reels in the past that take one hit on the rocks and get bent out of shape (my old Okuma Helios comes to mind). I am careful with my gear, but accidents happen

My budget is at most ~$300, and the FWX seems to be the best mix of saltwater friendly design and light weight. I just need a workhorse of a reel, and Nautilus seems to have a pretty good pedigree.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Nautilus FWX Fragility?

I am not trying to steer you away from the Nautilus (I would like to pick up an NV myself this year) but incase someone says they are fragile and you need to go back to the drawing board, my saltwater work horse is a Lamson Guru. I have the 3.5 on my 8wt and I use it for striped bass and Albies with no problems at all. A few weeks ago I dropped it from my armpit, about 6' down in to the rocks and it landed right on the edge of the spool. The worst spot to hit a reel because of the very small clearance between the spool and the frame. I thought it was toast...Still works perfect! No wobble, no dent just a few scuffs which is to be expected.

Like I said, not trying to steer you away from the Nautilus, they are awesome reels. Just something to think about if a Nautilus doesn't fit the bill.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Because of its exaggerated wide/shallow aspect ratio, I consider the Waterworks/Lamson reels a poor choice for flats fishing. I do have two Nautilus FWX reels that are used for some hard-core trout fishing and like them a lot but consider their design best suited for fish no tougher than steelhead. The Nautilus NV has a truly sealed, much beefed up drag design and it is a very fine bonefish reel. I use the NV "Giga" 8 on my NRX#8 and it has proven itself in the Bahamas and Florida. I enjoy fishing this reel which is designed and built in Florida by people who know the tropical salt. It is, however, a highly machined cage style for light weight and if real ruggedness is your top priority (though it is also more than your $300 limit) Hardy's Fortuna X is super solid and perhaps the strongest drag around. Of course, if ultimate ruggedness was your principal concern you would may not have bought the BVK; not that it is a bad rod, we use one bonefishing too. If yours is new and came without the Recoil guides, be sure to rinse it down every day after fishing.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I am sorry, but there is no fish that you will go after with an 8wt that a Lamson reel or TFO rod can't handle. The NV is over twice his budget and the Hardy is even more. Shoot, for $300 you can barely get a spool for the Hardy.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, if money were no object I'd probably just get an Xi3 and a Tibor Back Country and call it a day, but I'm 28 years old and on a budget. I haven't bought the BVK yet, but I don't really see any other rods that will do the job as well for $250. The last rod I took to the flats was very, very fast and I want something that's more geared towards presentation (I know the Xi3 is super fast, but doesn't mean I can't still want it!).

The FWX also compliments the extreme light weight of the BVK, whereas the NV is nearly twice the weight. I've also looked at the Hardy Ultralite 7000DD pretty closely, and the new Lamson Speedster looks like a great option as well. Both have enormous arbors for quick line pick up, which make them both attractive options.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

I have an FWX 7-8 that i use for stripers in the chesapeake bay, those reels are a beast, yes the NV is a much better drag but if money is a issue i understand. I used to use lamson reels till a striper pulled the spool off of the reel. Personally i dont like the way lamson spools attach to the reel. As for the nautilus, yes they are tough, they will take the abuse. I use mine for stripers and reds and have a 5-6 for smallies. Also check out the galvan rush, they are a great reel around your price and have a great drag system.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Also if you have not bought your rod yet i have a Scott A2 9 Ft 8 wt that i was thinking about selling, it is saltwater safe and a good rod. I have only used it a couple of times since i got an S4 soon after buying this rod. I would let it go for $160. Would give you some more wiggle room on your reel.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM

I might take you up on the offer. We are moving to PR in three weeks, and I was waiting until we get there to make my purchase. If you still have it then, I might be very interested.. I will let you know.

That's good to know about the FWX. They look just a bit fragile... I imagine they use very high quality barstock, but it is machined very, very thin from what I can see.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

You need to hold One of the FWX in your hand,its not flimsy or thin at all. And sure let me know about the rod when u get settled.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM

flytyingcompany is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
You need to hold One of the FWX in your hand,its not flimsy or thin at all. And sure let me know about the rod when u get settled.
I agree, I own a couple of the FWX's and use one of them almost every weekend and it has stood the test of time. A great, well manufacturered reel
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The FWX 5/6 having accomplished its task with grace and charm...
Click the image to open in full size.
imxer likes this.