The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default 2wt Reels

I am putting together a little 6'6" 2wt pack rod and I am looking for a decent but inexpensive reel for it.

I really dont want to spend more than 90 - 100 bucks.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2wt Reels

Redington Drift 2/3 - $99.95 Fully machined click drag mid arbor reel.

Dennis

Edit: If you don't mind some extra weight for long term durability, look for a Pflueger Medalist 1492. It is discontinued, but there are still some to be had on eBay.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-15-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added something.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Look at the auction site and search Martin Reels. The old model 63 reels are efficient clickers and can be had in the 10 - 20 dollar price range. I have 4 Martins and one of them is a #63 and for light fishing it functions the same as my Hardy Featherweight.

If you are not in a hurry (yeah right) you can keep checking the sales for an MG-3 Martin. These are a much more refined version of the #63, they have a nice adjustable spring & pawl drag and again are an equal to the Featherweight in both function and appearance. These will sell higher in good shape going 40 - 65 dollars. There are pictures of the two reels I mention on the Reel Love thread, you'll have to page around a while to find them but they're there. They may fill your need, they work and are very affordable also.

Ard

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Why make you look for them? I have the pictures handy,

Click the image to open in full size.

MG-3

The MG-3 drag mechanism;

imxer and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the pics!

If I don't get one of those for the 2wt, I have an old bamboo 3/4 rod that would be a great match!!

Mosca...I have been looking at those for a while and hoping to find one dip under that 99 mark!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like them and have a sort of collection I guess. There is an MG-9 salmon reel on its way here at this time. They look like the MG-7 but have a much heavier drag system. I will post pictures of it when it arrives.

I'm not all about cheap reels but I am also not blinded to a good value just because the item does not command a high price. Generally when we are using a rod in the 2 weight range we are not expecting to hook steelhead on a big river. With that in mind I would suggest that an old Tuna Can Martin in good shape will satisfy in both looks and performance when plying brook trout waters or just plucking Blue Gills on a local pond.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered a reel from the Angler's Roost website and have been happy with it. It's on my 4wt bamboo, I think it's called the 101. They go for around $50 and are machined. Landed a 5lb trout with it on the 4wt, so the drag did get used. My one complaint is that the instructions for converting to right hand retrieve are very unclear. I fumbled through it, successfully converted the reel, but can't get the spool off... Oh well, for $50 I'm getting good use out of it.

p.s. on my 2wt I have a battenkill barstock, beautiful reel and nice and light for a 6'6" rod. If you get one of those $25 off coupons from Orvis it should put it down in your price range.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

The Cortland Retro 1 reel is a heck of a reel at only $80 or so (seen them on sale at Cabela's for $80 today if I remember right). Light, durable, good looking, and very functional. Definitely a reel worth looking into if you like click pawl reels.

-Chase
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
on my 2wt I have a battenkill barstock, beautiful reel and nice and light for a 6'6" rod. If you get one of those $25 off coupons from Orvis it should put it down in your price range.
I also have a BBS I on my 2wt. Works great and balance my 6'8" 2wt quite nicely.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
The Cortland Retro 1 reel is a heck of a reel at only $80 or so (seen them on sale at Cabela's for $80 today if I remember right). Light, durable, good looking, and very functional. Definitely a reel worth looking into if you like click pawl reels.

-Chase
I have an LL Bean Pocketwater reel, which is very similar (made by the same people?) reel. I think it balances my 8'6" 4wt nicely, so it might be a bit heavy for a 6'6" 2wt. The reel works fine, though. I managed to land a 28" carp on it this past summer.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure what a 6'6" 2wt weighs, but I can't imagine it being much less than the 1.7oz than the 6'6" 3wt that I often use the Cortland Retro 1 on. The Retro balances nicely on it. I think that the Retro is one of the lighter reels on the market in this price range, but I may be wrong.

-Chase
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Have you seen the LL bean Pocket water

Pros: Got great reviews, iron clad guarantee, free shipping, $79.00
Cons: 3 weight is as lite as they go.

Pocket Water Fly Reel: L.L. Bean Reels | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean