The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM

bheintz is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Trout - Orvis Access-Mid

Hello Everyone

New to the forum and fairly new to the sport.

I have received both a 9' 5wt Redington CPX and a 9' 4wt CT Classic (will receive - I noticed a box from Sierra Trading Post that was left out - I'll just have to act surprised - ha ha!).

I need reels. I believe, at the weights needed, the reels tend to serve as line-holders, correct? I don't think I should have top of the line, but I do have a thing about durability. I have a Lamson Konic 2 that I bought for a deal, but I plan on returning after reading comments about durability, since it is cast and not fully-machined. Please let me know if my doubts are unfounded.

I've noticed the Orvis Access-Mid and the Allen Trout II are both fully machined. Are either more than what I need? Excellent reels and great values, from what I understand. Sorry for the long post. Thanks to all!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Allen Trout - Orvis Access-Mid

I really like my Allen trout reels, they are fully machined and seem to work wonderfully thus far. I wouldnt be worried about the konic, i have a 4.0 and have no real doubts with using it anywhere. I dont know if i'd use it in the salt but I definitly use it everywhere else.

if you are returning the Konic 2 and got a good deal on it, I'd be interested in it for what you need back out of it. i have been wanting to get one but dont feel like paying even what Sierra has them listed at. I had a coupon code there that knocked it way down and should have bought it then but didnt.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks geoff

I think you would have had the konic for less than I paid. It would not let me use a code.

I will mainly be fishing the Milwaukee River and any upper-Midwest tributaries. If I do fish salt, God (and wife) willing, I will probably borrow the gear from a family member.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'd go with the large arbor of the Trout II, but the Access is not a bad reel either, I do like them.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...can't help with the reels but looks like you've already got two good rods
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're looking a very large fish (not likely with a 5wt rod) the Lamson reel will work just fine for general use. As somewhat of a comparison think about the old Phlug's Medalist. Millions of them made over 50+ years and still the 'choice reel' for many. I even used them on my early 2hander rods; lines were cut back DT lines.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheintz View Post
I have a Lamson Konic 2 that I bought for a deal, but I plan on returning after reading comments about durability, since it is cast and not fully-machined. Please let me know if my doubts are unfounded.
I know people who have over 100 fishing days on their Konics. They can take punishment. The Konics are pressure cast instead of gravity cast, so there are less impurities in the aluminum. It is the only cast reel that I would recommend for a person who wants a price pointed trout reel with a quality drag.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the allen trout II reels are very nice machined reels at an awesome price
as far as the konic, keep it, its an awesome reel that will fit in your quiver some day

casey

ARFE
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you, thank you to all for the advice. I do greatly appreciate the feedback.

Looking to get out this Sunday on the river. I do have an older 9wt (had for years, but have not used). After the rains, I've been told (and read) that the steelhead/salmon are great right now. This is all I've been thinking about!! I've never caught, but I'm told it's something else.

-B
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheintz View Post
Looking to get out this Sunday on the river. I do have an older 9wt (had for years, but have not used). After the rains, I've been told (and read) that the steelhead/salmon are great right now. This is all I've been thinking about!! I've never caught, but I'm told it's something else.
Be prepared to hold on!!!