The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly reel with spectra

I was wondering if anyone has done it and was kind of thinking of doing it since it has a smaller diameter than dacron which gives you more backing on the reel.Do you guys think its a good idea or should I just get some gel spun??
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly reel with spectra

I have heard of guys using power pro spectra braid as backing for bigger game fish. You would get more on the reel but it starts getting expensive.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use 50 pound test Scientific Anglers gel spun backing and 55 pound test Daiwa Samurai Braid (formerly Saltiga Boat Braid) on a few of my saltwater reels.

In saltwater, line capacity can be your friend. 100 yards of thin braid will take less space on a spool compared to 100 yards of 20 or 30 pound Dacron. That means your backing diameter with braid does not narrow down as much compared to the Dacron.

Dennis
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I run either 40lb or 50lb power pro or spidewire stealth(alot smoother than power pro) on all my reels and like it alot more than using dacron. Since switching over to spectra braid I wouldn't even consider using dacron again unless I had no other choice.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I also run 50lb PowerPro on my reels for the 6, 8, and 10wt. On the 4 and the 2, I run regular dacron.

The big thing with powerpro is how thin it is. If you go to thin, that line can become a razor blade if you go to thin.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Only negative I can tell you all, careful on a fish run. You can cut into your fingers quickly with braided. Found out the hard way years back on a "hot" salmon in NY
Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Scientific Anglers GSP is abrasive, so watch out.

Daiwa Samurai Braid is the most least abrasive braid, but it still can cause a line burn.

If you are worried about line burns on your fingers, wear some sort of stripping guards. I usually tape mine up.

Dennis