The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Chi Tian Reels

About the Chi Tian Reels, I have a question; are they a Clone of a specific brand name reel that I might be familiar with?

They are being sold as this product, quote:

"Aircraft grade T6061 Bar Stock AL CNC machine cut LARGE ARBOR 9/10WT FLY REEL"

No Schematics come in the box, but if they are a Clone of a name brand product, that schematic could be obtained I think.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chi Tian Reels

I've got one of the really small ones (YB-60). It barely holds a whole WF2F line.

Compared to other reels I have, it looks closest to the lower-end Okuma reels than anything else.

The larger Chi Tian reel may look entirely different.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Plecain:

This is the YA-103 Large Arbor for a 10 to 11 weight Line.

Even though the Ebay page shows a "how to" do the Wind Reversal,I still don't see how to do it. The picture is fuzzy, and no parts appear in any skematic at all from the box.

I was frustrated because all the various washers and the disc brake are now neatly resting in a big Rubbermaid container. I had to actually order a second real (they are so cheap but spin smooth as silk) just so I can see how to put the first one back together again.

I wish I could find a webpage that explained basic reel construction, because that would help me make the Wind Reversal correction. This is set up for a Right Hand Wind, go figger.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
sbreech

All you have to do is take out the anti-reverse bearing, flip it over, and put it back in. That will change the direction of the reel, reversing it from right to left hand.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Plecain:

This is the YA-103 Large Arbor for a 10 to 11 weight Line.

Even though the Ebay page shows a "how to" do the Wind Reversal,I still don't see how to do it. The picture is fuzzy, and no parts appear in any skematic at all from the box.

I was frustrated because all the various washers and the disc brake are now neatly resting in a big Rubbermaid container. I had to actually order a second real (they are so cheap but spin smooth as silk) just so I can see how to put the first one back together again.

I wish I could find a webpage that explained basic reel construction, because that would help me make the Wind Reversal correction. This is set up for a Right Hand Wind, go figger.

Only a bit off topic, but. A long time ago, I did some reel repair. One day a guy I knew asked of I would be able to fix his PENN level wind (Gear chucker) for him. I said sure and said I could probably do it right there at his house. I go over there and take a screw driver to one of the end plates on the kitchen table. His wife is over at counter making lunch with her back to us. As soon as I pulled the end off, parts just poured out of it. I looked at him and he gave me the finger over the lips ssshhhhh! with one hand and points his thumb with the other hand over his shoulder at the wife.

Your not the only person to ever get a reel apart and ended up with a confusing pile of parts. Interestingly, I have found in most cases busted reels do not need parts, just cleaned, tightened, unbent or some combination thereof. I maybe needed a part in about 1 out of 10 reels. You would think that would be an easy thing with better end reels, and harder with cheap ones. Insome ways it's the other way around. Cheap ones you can generally get busted ones for parts, cause just the parts are not a happening thing. What surprises me is the high end reels there are no parts for. Recently I found out that a not that old Tibor fly reel was a "No parts around" reel.

If you can't figure it out, email me a picture of it and the parts. As they say in China, 我们不需要说明.
Liphookedau likes this.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

There are quite a few Reels which look similiar,as with most other Reels these days,nearly all are either made in China or Korea.
They are as mentioned a copy of other Reels,with slight differences in Machining Patterns.
I thoroughly Inspected one & The Machining was quite Good.
Brian.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the encouragement all. The second reel will will arrive any day now, and I will carefully note where the disc brake goes and where the the other couple of washer's go.

I am actually quite fascinated with reel construction.

Just in case anyone is curious, I took this reel and twirling the handle as fast as possible, got the reel to spin around by my estimation, about 12 turns in a free spin.

When I lubricated it with some ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid, which is my um...... religion) it spun freely about 16 times. So I think the machining is not too bad.

Now, back to my researches in the the construction of the modern Fly reel with disc brake system.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM

huibgeselschap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Only a bit off topic, but. A long time ago, I did some reel repair. One day a guy I knew asked of I would be able to fix his PENN level wind (Gear chucker) for him. I said sure and said I could probably do it right there at his house. I go over there and take a screw driver to one of the end plates on the kitchen table. His wife is over at counter making lunch with her back to us. As soon as I pulled the end off, parts just poured out of it. I looked at him and he gave me the finger over the lips ssshhhhh! with one hand and points his thumb with the other hand over his shoulder at the wife.

Your not the only person to ever get a reel apart and ended up with a confusing pile of parts. Interestingly, I have found in most cases busted reels do not need parts, just cleaned, tightened, unbent or some combination thereof. I maybe needed a part in about 1 out of 10 reels. You would think that would be an easy thing with better end reels, and harder with cheap ones. Insome ways it's the other way around. Cheap ones you can generally get busted ones for parts, cause just the parts are not a happening thing. What surprises me is the high end reels there are no parts for. Recently I found out that a not that old Tibor fly reel was a "No parts around" reel.

If you can't figure it out, email me a picture of it and the parts. As they say in China, 我们不需要说明.

i hear you, my first casting reel was also a puzzle to re-assemble, luckily i had the schematics, but still.
as for fly reels, they are all very simple of design; one maybe 2 axles(disc drag) with some parts on it. trick is the sequence to put it on with some reels, which is why i like the draw bar design.

Tough to hear no more parts are available for a tibor, how did they reply?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM
sbreech

Tibor will repair or replace the reel for life. Limited lifetime warranty. This is straight from their page:

"All Tibor Reel products carry a limited lifetime warranty. This warranty covers the repair or replacement of any part due to defect in material or workmanship"

Our Warranty
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks Diver Dan and all.

The "anti-reverse bearing" is that they call the "clutch".

It's the White (Nylon?) plastic piece which sits in the middle of the spool, and the shaft goes through it.

(I'm going over this for myself, and any other confused people, so bear with me.)

First, there was no clear way to even see how this comes out. It just pulls out, but not without fiddling. I must have disassembled and reassembled the first reel 10 times just to get basically familiar with all of the parts.

Then, I found the clutch, pulled and reversed it, and it worked on the second reel.

But as for the first reel, there were 2 brass "pins" and each had a teeny weeny spring inside. One, was the inner one that makes the clicking sound when line pulls out against drag. Suffice it to say, one of those pins got lost.

Hmmmm. Well, it's a $90.00 instruction in reel design, is what it is.

I think that I will eventually get one of those Allen "Kraken" reels.

In all honesty, it was a lot of fun. I am basically an impatient guy, but I have learned to Put---Things---Down and let them sit overnight or for a day, and then go back to studying them very carefully. Also, for me, its therapeutic, and I don't mind admitting that actually pray for help. ha ha .

But I find the designed of Fly Reels fascinating. I would really like to see how they are actually machined. Wouldn't that be great if we could get a video of it?