The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Name this reel

Hey,

can anyone tell me what this reel is:

I'm looking for a good spey reel... However, I don't really want to spend a ridiculous amount for one.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Name this reel

Could be an Olson? Not exactly cheap... Funny, I know nothing about this stuff, but was sent this link literally yesterday

Olson Custom Fly Reels | Home
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Holy shikees! 2k for a reel is insane!!! I'm only look to spend a couple of hundred for the reel...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Check out Speyco, they make nice traditional styled reels for spey rods and for a reasonable price.
fredaevans and delopez like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks rather like the discontinued Hardy Cascapedia MkII from the stillframe, but the palming rim doesn't look exactly right to me. So long story short, not sure exactly what that reel is, but someone on here will!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

The Cascapedia MKIIs had a ported wind plate. The reels in the video look like Loop Classics to me, especially since they're casting B&W and Loop rods with some Loop lines.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

I'm used to using single hand reels of 4.75 diameter and 1.5 width. What is the signifigance of an actual spey reel? They do look wider... is width the case? Please excuse my noob question
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
The Cascapedia MKIIs had a ported wind plate. The reels in the video look like Loop Classics to me, especially since they're casting B&W and Loop rods with some Loop lines.
It does look like a Loop Classic Brady,

Answering the question about what makes the reel for Spey rods different; weight is the first consideration. With many of the longer Spey rods you will need a reel weighing around 12 ounces to give good balance to the rod when lined up and casting. Some of the new and ultra light Spey rods will balance out with lighter reels but I don't own any of these rods. Many Spey reels are also very attractive to the eye and possess very strong & smooth drag systems. These 2 features do add to the cost of a reel.

If you're looking for a reel with some heft with a good drag in it look to the original Orvis Vortex reels. These would be circa 2000 - 2004 reels made in America and the weights very depending on size. They can be had a very good prices on auction provided you don't become involved in a bidding war with another person.

Another one to consider also from Orvis is the Odyssey, I have a #III and a IV in this model. Good drags, enough weight to balance out some rods and also can be had at reasonable cost.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I am pretty sure that it is a Loop "Classic" reel.

THORSTEN
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 AM

I ended up going with an echo ion reel for the time being. It's a good reel for the price. So I figured, why not?