The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By sbreech
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By biggie_robs
  • 1 Post By sbreech
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM

wmalloy5 is on a distinguished road
Default 6WT value reel.

I have a G Loomis Xperience 9' 6WT rod. I'm looking for a reel around $100. I'm leaning towards the Ross flyrise or Allen trout reel. I'll mostly use this setup on stillwater with occasional trips to the Kern River. So I'm also taking into account the price of spare spools to go from stillwater to the river quickly and easily. I am fairly new to fly fishing and will be fishing for trout and bass with this rod. This is also why I decided to go with a 6wt.

Another question I have is how much of a difference is there between a size 2 reel vs size 3 both are capable of 6wt lines.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
sbreech

Default Re: 6WT value reel.

In that price range, Cabelas has the Lamson Konic on sale for $88.88. That's a pretty nice reel you may want to consider.
Hardyreels and brucerducer like this.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the allen trout II is a very nice reel, although maybe a bit over your budget.
the konic is a nice reel(cast), as is the ouuma slv.
the allen is machined to very high tolerances and would, hands down, be the best choice IMO

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

There's a Ross Colorado 3 on the bay right now. That's the route I would go if I were you. I don't know how you feels about used gear, but the Colorado reels are bombproof. I wish they still made them.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
In that price range, Cabelas has the Lamson Konic on sale for $88.88. That's a pretty nice reel you y want to consider.
While doing my research the Lamson Konic keeps coming up and everyone has good things to say about them. Its definitely now a viable option.

I was referring to the Allen trout II in my original post. Not capped at $100 just a ball park range. I feel for what I need all 3 of these reels will probably excel. Now its time to find the best deal I can and pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the quick replies, finally found a good fly fishing forum.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
sbreech

My buddy has a Konic and loves it. Being under $100, you could spend a little more on a better fly line, or on a fly box, or a few flies, or whatever. Maybe some polarized sunglasses or a good brimmed had....some tippett (on sale at Cabelas too!)...so much stuff to get.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I like my Konic, however I prefer machined... I recently dinged it on a rock and the spool started rubbing. Not a big deal I suppose, but it does catch and could be enough to pop a tippet if things were dicey. It's back at Lamson with 20 of my dollars already, will likely have to purchase a new spool at a discount. I've only experienced this with cast reels. In fact I bought the Konic because another cast reel had the same thing happen and there was only one fly shop and their only reel under $200 was the Konic and trout were rising to drakes so there was no time to lose...

I like my Allen reel on my 6wt. Looks good, functions well, and the price is right.

Last edited by williamhj; 11-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM

Seems like the more research I do the more reels I find that I like. The Sage 1850 is also in about the same price range. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Ditto on the Lamson Konic. I have the 6 wt and a spare spool, and it has flawless operation.