The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Reels locking up

Among my reels, only my Galvan Torque has not had this happen once. I've recently purchased an Abel Trout reel and a Bauer CFX and both have had the reel "lock up" when I would attempt to pull line out. The problem is easily fixed by reeling in a bit of line but its happened a few times and I wouldn't expect that from Abel and Bauer. I have been fishing in colder waters as of late when this started (outside air temp mid to high 30s F)... Anyone know if this is normal?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reels locking up

is your line stacking up and coming in contact with the reel frame ?? make sure the line is level across the spool and there is some clearance..
Rip Tide likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
is your line stacking up and coming in contact with the reel frame ?? make sure the line is level across the spool and there is some clearance..
Nope. Fishing for trout in the Driftless area, I use little backing on my reel. The lock isn't from line stacking up... Thanks though!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

My initial thought is...huh, next time get one that says Hardy on the side. I fish with two, one I've had since the mid-70's, and neither has shown the problem you describe. I'd think that could lose you a nice fish, one that was taking line and the reel locked up? Hardy's do take a lot of maintenance, though..once a year I'll dunk the reel and shake it out a bit..
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
My initial thought is...huh, next time get one that says Hardy on the side. I fish with two, one I've had since the mid-70's, and neither has shown the problem you describe. I'd think that could lose you a nice fish, one that was taking line and the reel locked up? Hardy's do take a lot of maintenance, though..once a year I'll dunk the reel and shake it out a bit..
Thanks. I guess.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds very strange and worrying. Have you contacted the manufacturers? Seems odd to have it happen on two different reels. Have you cleaned the reels? I had one reel that got some grit in it and would lock up.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Is it possible you may have bumped the reel on a solid object or maybe dropped it? Maybe the shaft is slightly bent?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

The majority of my reels are Abel Supers and older M, MSL series Bauer’s which have completely different drag mechanisms than your series. The only time I've ever had a reel refuse to go in one direction was when particles of sand, dirt etc. got into the spools rim groove and then jammed when it came into contact with the frames flange.
Could that happen if ice formed in that area???

Those would clear if you backed up or better still rinsed them.
Is it possible that your Abel and Bauer have tighter tolerances than your Galvin?

Beats me. TT
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
sbreech

Never had that happen with any of my Abel or Nautilus reels, nor have I heard of that happening with any of them. I'd guess very dirty or possibly dropped? Either of these manufacturers would make it right provided no abuse...
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

two high end reels there.
seems very odd to have 2 reels of that quality fail like that
i would contact the manufacturers and explain your issues,
they will most certainly fix or replace what ever the problems are.
good luck, hope you get this resolved

casey

ARFE