The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default Two questions from a newbie

Hey guys,

About 7 years ago I attempted to start fly fishing in Central PA (falling springs, yellow breeches). I was extremely busy with work and I never really got started. 7 years later I live in Western NC and apparently have a lot of good streams within 1.5 hrs. Story short, I am ready to get serious.

My questions are regarding a new setup.

1) I cam across a new Scott A3 8' 4 wt for $210. Should I buy it? I have heard the rod is a really good one but is 8' too short? I will fish WNC streams 99% of the time.

2) What reel should I pair with the Scott A3? I would like to keep it around $200 (max $250) as I was originally wanting to spend $500 or less on rod and reel. The shop recommended a Lamson Konic but it just doesnt inspire me. A few that have caught my eye are the Hardy Ultralite, Galvan Torque, Nautilus FWX. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by jpwv12; 11-08-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two questions from a newbie

If you like the look for the Hardy Ultralight, take a look at the Allen Trout reel. It'll save you $100. I'm sure the Hardy is a fantastic reel but I like my Allen on my 6wt and it'll give you a similar look, if that's what you're liking.

Can't speak to that particular rod. Did see this today, for what it's worth.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

It would be tough to stay under $500 with that rod and a Torque or FWX unless you found a screaming deal or bought used. Don't know the type of waters where you'll be fishing so hard to give advice on length and weight of rod. Though that is a pretty good deal on the A3. I like 9' rods for general use so I can mend line better and poke out a longer cast. However if your serious about taking up the sport I'm sure there will be many a more rods in your future so I say get the A3 and pair it with a Galvan torque of which I have 2 and love them line your reel with a Rio gold 4wt line and you got a sweet setup.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Hey there,
I think the 8' rod is a good length for streams. I fish 7'6" 5 and 4 wt.s. I love them for streams with lots of forest around.
I second the advice to look at the Allen trout reel #1 I believe. A great reel that fishes above its price bracket and looks great. Plus they are a phenomenal company to work with customer service wise.

Trout II Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Im currently planning a trip to north carolina to fish the streams west of Asheville and up into the smokies. From what I've seen, they can be some tight fishing spots and was planning on fishing a 6 foot 3 inch #3wt.

I would say that its all personal preference but the small wooded streams out there in the hills my be tough to navigate with a 8 or 9 ft rod.

Maybe a local could answer this question because this is one I'm very interested in as well.

fyi, im a big fan of my lamson konic for trout fishing. i prefer the larger arbor reels for bass and steelhead fishing

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

An 8 foot rod is perfect for dry fly fishing a stream of about 35-40 foot width.
For nymphing or fishing a "river" a rod somewhat longer might suit you better
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Thank you for all the replies. Regarding reels, I also noticed the Galvan Rush. Seems to be a good mid-range reel. I read some incredible customer service stories about Galvan. As it seems customer service is dead in today's society I would really like to give them a try.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Picked up my the Scott A3 today. It was actually $201 not $210. I think I am going to pair it with a Black Lamson Guru 1.5, Hardy Ultralite DD 4000, or an Orvis Access Mid Arbor. I know it is personal preference but which reel would you guys get? Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

I saw where you mentioned the galvan rush, my opinion it is the better reel of all you mentioned. Very smooth drag and a fairly light reel as well. Galvans will last you a lifetime.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv12 View Post
Picked up my the Scott A3 today. It was actually $201 not $210. I think I am going to pair it with a Black Lamson Guru 1.5, Hardy Ultralite DD 4000, or an Orvis Access Mid Arbor. I know it is personal preference but which reel would you guys get? Thanks again for all the advice.
i have the access on my 5wt. Nice reel.
and if you're not in a hurry to buy it, some places will have deals around black friday - might not be much , 10-20% off with or without free shipping, but better than nothing. I got my access for 20% off around fathers day.

Addicted To Vise