The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Orvis good quality or just popular?

I am new to fly fishing and was wondering if any of the Orvis reels are good quality? Before starting research on a rod and reel Orvis was the only company I had heard of. How does the quality compare to some of the names Ive seen such as Abel, Lamson, Hardy, Galvan, etc.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Orvis good quality or just popular?

I'm not an expert, but one would have to define "quality". IMO, Orvis makes fine reels. I have several. I also have reels from Allen, too, which I find to be of good quality.

Orvis is a big name, but they didn't get to be a big name by selling junk. I think they are on the upper end of the gene pool (and you'll pay for that upper end of the gene pool). There are other manufacturer's that make better reels for specific things, like Lamson or Abel for saltwater. I'm not endorsing them as I don't own any, but when you do enough research, you'll see what floats to the top rather quickly.
mcnerney, mrfzx and shotgunfly like this.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Let me start by stating that I have a 'reel addiction problem'. I have way more than I will ever use or need, but I just cannot resist acquiring ones that catch my eye, with hopes of matching them with future fly rods

I have owned several Orvis reels (Battenkills, Old CFOs, Large Arbor Battenkills etc.) & never once had a failure or issue in terms of breaking off a fish due to reel drag failure. I also happen to own and like Ross & Lamson reels.

Ultimately, your decision should be based on cost, aesthetics (to your eyes) on the fly rod & balance. I don't really don't need a high tech carbon disc drag for trout (steelhead, etc are exceptions) unless I am fighting them in streams with large amount of branches etc where they can break you off. Having said that, I have fished with anglers who have subdued an angry steelhead in the tight confines of the Pere Marquette with a simple click drag reel.

Saltwater fishing is an entirely different ballgame and one probably needs all the latest in reel technology.

Another point to consider: Orvis & Ross have excellent warranties. I advise taking the time to visit a local fly shop (if you have one closeby) with your fly rod and see which reel matches it well.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

They are not cheap reels nor are they top of the line reels. Some of the reels you mentioned like abel and galvan are high end reels that are still hand machined and are smaller companies. Therefore you get a better reel with more attention to details and these companies focus only on reels not the entire industry.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
sbreech

The new Orvis reels are nice, and will do the job just fine, but not in the same class of precision quality as Abel, Galven, Hatch, or Nautilus. Everyone has different tastes and requirements though, and if you're chasing 10" brook trout, there is absolutely no need for an incredible drag system. Looks can make a big difference, and balance on the rod can be important (depending on taste). Check out each reel, filled with line, on your rod to find out which feels best to cast.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Orvis reels are good. There are a lot of good reels out there now. Look for features you desire over a spread of a lot reel brands,,and it you see it in an Orvis...I am positive you can trust the quality. They stand behind their products as good as anyone. Personally, I really , really like Orvis. But I have other brands of fly fishing gear too. This is the Golden Age of being about to get good quality from almost all companies.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Orvis is popular because they make a quality reel for an honest price and have for many years.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've found Orvis has good customer service and I've found their reels very useable. However, I could say the same about a number of companies including Allen, LL Bean, and Lamson (just got my Konic back from being serviced - quick service!). I got a battenkill mid arbor for my 8wt because the price was right and it had a good reputation.

Otherwise, the reasons I've gotten Orvis over the other companies is the aesthetics, I think the Battenkill Bar Stock is a great look for my 2wt (below) and the CFO on a bamboo. The other brands have reels that would work well, but I wouldn't like the pairing as much. For some it doesn't matter, but once I've spent time thinking about colors of thread wraps, grip material and style, wood for reel seat insert, and color of hardware I want a reel that fits the aesthetic for me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Orvis is worth it in the long run for sure. They are one of the finest outdoor companies out there and stand behind their stuff 110%.

I do not buy a lot of Orvis stuff but I do like their stuff, I think their Helios rods are very good and their CS is as good as one can find.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Orvis makes / sells high quality items and have good customer service. And yes a part of that price is for the label, just like Polo or Under Armour.