The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By jselis54
  • 3 Post By sbreech
  • 1 Post By jselis54
  • 3 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By Pocono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM

jselis54 is on a distinguished road
Default The picture...

Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay and sbreech like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: The picture...

Wow, that looks like an auto-reel if I'm not mistaken? Quite an interesting finish as well. Cool!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
sbreech

Yup, it is a Horrocks Ibbotson Automatic Fly Reel. Kind of standard-fare for the 60s and 70s. I've always been intrigued with the South Bend models, since that was what my dad used when he was able. Since this was your dad's, clean it up and put it in a small glass box and remember the times you and he fished. Good stuff!
imxer, Pocono and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM

jselis54 is on a distinguished road

Wow, thank you for your awesome kindness and for your replies!!! I think I will keep it in a glass case like you recommended. Hope you both land a BIG one

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

By the way...my Dad was from South Bend, Indiana. Thanks sbreech!!
sbreech likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what sbreech stated! Having that auto-reel in a nice glass case would be an awesome reminder of your father.

JP gave me a Cordel auto-reel for xmas one year. It is a very special reel because the builder has passed on, so I take extra good care of it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Larry thats a cool looking auto! Never seen one by Cordel.
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Wow Larry thats a cool looking auto! Never seen one by Cordel.
You have to make the "French Connection"!

The Cordel is so far ahead of other automatics/semi-automatics, that it's almost a category all by itself.

Pocono
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You have to make the "French Connection"!

The Cordel is so far ahead of other automatics/semi-automatics, that it's almost a category all by itself.

Pocono
Now you've got me curious! Going to do some searching and check them out . Never was a big fan of actually fishing with autos but there is a first for everything!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Oh and I believe I have the perfect match for that H-I auto reel. It's an H-I fly/spin glass rod that I'm refinishing. I'll post a pic when it's done.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Last edited by theboz; 11-12-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

John, PM J-P, he'll fill you in on Cordel automatics.

Like Larry, I have one (a gift from J-P). If you'd like to give it a try let me know (you'll be amazed at the difference between this auto and any others)

Pocono