The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default Greys G-series

Does anyone use these reels and are they durable. I saw them at sport chalet for $50 and thinking of getting one for a 4wt rod i have.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Greys G-series

Greys has a good name and is the second line to Hardy. Hook & Hackle has that reel for $45 and it is listed as a die-cast aluminum reel. So it is what it is.
Here is the company description.

A very high quality entry level reel that a beginner will use with confidence and probably keep throughout its life. On the other hand, this is a good looking, efficient, superbly light reel which teams up with any of the Greys range of shorter river rods where balance and delicacy are essential.

Features:
* Made of lightweight die-cast aluminum for strength and durability
* Click and pawl drag system of the G1 model makes it a great reel to balance light rods
* Higher line sizes feature a more powerful disc drag system
* Easy to change spools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I bought one for my 7.5' 4wt Redington Crosswater. I like it! Not real sophisticated but nice Hardy sound and well built.

It's the small reel on the far right:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Greys G-series

In real terms, unless you're really chasing 'big fish in big water' you don't need a $600 reel. With some notable exceptions, 'reels' are a place to store your fly line. Grey's are very good products; Hardy's second line.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it ....
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Wannafish, Is that a St. John you have there? I used to have one just like it, ribbed brass reel foot and all, but I lost it...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've seen it in stores and it looks nearly identical to the Albright Topwater. It may even be the very same item with a different label slapped on. I've got a Topwater 5/6 as a backup reel and it's okay. Sturdy and basic, not as elegant or finely machined as some others, but it does the job for trout. Albright is always discounting their stuff (their supposed "MSRP" is a joke) and you can usually get their version for about half that price when they have them in stock.

Topwater Reel 3/4

PS: I just checked the Albright website and they seem to have the 5/6 but not the 3/4 in stock right now.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point: "Suggested Retail Price: $74.50
Our Price: $22.65

It will cost them five bucks just to mail it to you ...
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Wannafish, Is that a St. John you have there? I used to have one just like it, ribbed brass reel foot and all, but I lost it...
Yes it is; my father started fishing with it in the '50s and has no idea where he got it but I'm happy to have it now
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Yes it is; my father started fishing with it in the '50s and has no idea where he got it but I'm happy to have it now
A buddy of mine sold me a new in the box 70's St John about five years ago. It has become my main Steelhead reel.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

I use a G-series and love it. Good drag system and sturdy. cant go wrong for the price. I got mine with a TFO rod and line and backing all for 130$ can't asy much about durable yet i have only had it for a few months now.