The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about
Default Hardy Lightweight LRH vs Abel Creek 1

I really just want to open this up for discussion. These two reels are very close in price. I love the nostalgic appearance of the Hardy. I love the modern machining and durable appearance of the Abel. The open frame on the Abel enables palming. The Hardy is the perfect look for the 7' 6" honey colored glass rod I have in mind for it. Ultimately I know this is my decision. It's actually a fun dilemma. Thanks for looking.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Hardy Lightweight LRH vs Abel Creek 1

first off, welcome to the forum leithel
in answer to your question... i've seen a number of your "honey'' colored glass rods and in my opinion the hardy fits that like a glove.
the abel is also a fine reel, but aesthetically, the LRH has it in the bag
jmho.

casey

ARFE
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I'll echo Casey on both counts, Welcome to the forum and I would just get a Hardy LRH Out of curiosity, whose blanks did you use for this rod? I've been thinking of buying a 3 - 4 weight in 6.5 or 7 foot for another winter project.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Thank you both so much for the welcome and the responses.
Ard, it is a Lamiglas two piece blank. Reasonably priced and a beautiful color in my opinion.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by leithel View Post
I really just want to open this up for discussion. These two reels are very close in price. I love the nostalgic appearance of the Hardy. I love the modern machining and durable appearance of the Abel. The open frame on the Abel enables palming. The Hardy is the perfect look for the 7' 6" honey colored glass rod I have in mind for it. Ultimately I know this is my decision. It's actually a fun dilemma. Thanks for looking.
I agree with the others, go with the LRH But, if you were to go with an Abel I would look at the TR1.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks for your input. I bought an LRH. I still lust after an Abel reel though and was curious about your reasons for picking the TR1 over the Creek 1.
I might have to purchase one at a later date. The Sweetgrass Mantra has been calling me and I think either the TR1 or the Creek 1 would look fantastic with the black aluminum reel seat. Thanks, Fred
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Good call on the Hardy LRH! I have a vintage 2 screw line guard LRH that I absolutely love.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Good choice! For the light fishing you would usually do with a 7'6" rod, you would probably rarely need to use the palming rim anyway.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I bought an LRH. I still lust after an Abel reel though and was curious about your reasons for picking the TR1 over the Creek 1.
Thanks, Fred
Primarily just the traditional look, smaller diameter and still plenty of backing capacity for a light trout rod.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I bought an LRH.
Good move. Your ancestors will enjoy that reel as much as you will.