The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reels from China :-) on eBay

I actually ordered one of these for a 4wt. I forget the model, but I think I paid $17 shipped for it. I caught a ton of fish with it including a few 3+lb bass, 2 15" crappie, and countless other little fish.

I sold the rod and reel to a buddy who landed an 8lb carp with it. They are deceptively decent especially if you are using it for nothing but a line holder and the occasional fish that pulls some line.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
The link came up in some other language. Are the reels shipping from Cali or from over seas? .
Domel, who posted the original question, is in Poland. If you click on the link and change the 'pl' to 'com' in the ebay web address you'll get the posting in English.

Domel, where are you in Poland?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

It almost looks like a Redington or something similar.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Really? Who's going to be doing the seeing? The fish? Other fisherman?
And they'd (the fish or fisherman) really care?
I have $10 reels and $300 reels. I have $20 fly rods and $700 fly rods.
I have Snap-On tools and Craftsman tools and no-name tools.
I have $3000 lenses and $100 lenses.
In each case these are all just tools for a job. As long as they do the job, I'm happy.
I can safely say I've never inspected another fisherman's equipment (in any sense of the word).

Can you safely say that you don't know how to take a joke as well?

Relax
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
[/COLOR]

Can you safely say that you don't know how to take a joke as well?

Relax
Actually, I can and did.
I was just adding my own. Unsuccessfully, apparently.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what CNC forged means.
CNC Means Computer Numerical Control,we also have CAD which is Computer Aided,(I call it assisted), Drawing System.
Also when they say Forged,it's really A Casting Process called Investment Casting,parts can be accurately Cast,then they are CNC Machined which saves a lot of waste material,however it's not as accurate or as good as Finish as Straight out Machining.
Most Reels,including many of The Top Brands are now made in either Korea or China,the only difference is The Machining Patterns as everything else is nearly Identical,I know I've inspected a Couple & found The Machining to be quite good.
Incidently where I once worked as A Toolmaker/Inspector/Foreman I was certified to do NATA Inspections,some were on Parts we made for The US Army & Navy which had to meet their Specs.
Brian.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a darn good explanation brian!
ya learn something new every day

casey

ARFE
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Domel, who posted the original question, is in Poland. If you click on the link and change the 'pl' to 'com' in the ebay web address you'll get the posting in English.

Domel, where are you in Poland?
Hi
I live in Polanka Wielka, near Oświęcim (german name, better known, is Auschwitz).
BR
Tom

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Hi all
Normally I use only Loop and Lamson reels, but I read that these reels are very good. Why do I have to pay several times more for the same? I heard that these reels are made in the same factory, on the same machines, using the same technical ideas as better known reels which have marks of Loop, Vision or any other brand name. This is the same situation as Cabela's products - their reels are completely the same as Streamstix and few more brands. It is just that anyone can order reel with any brand name and Mr Chang :-) will do it for you.
:-)
BR
tom
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Not to take away from the Fly Shops because we should support them where we can, I bought one similiar to this from a friend who sells them. Put it on a rod for my Son, 5/6 wt. The thing is well built, you could drive a tractor over it I think. Performs great with a disc drag and looks really nice. With the line I paid $85 for it and supported a small business. Chinese reels are already on most of our rods under other names. You may buy from a Japanese manufacturer but they contract to Korea and China. Many of the manufacturers are bypassing the middleman and selling either direct to the public or directly to the Retailer with no wholesaler involved.
Again support your local shop if you can but sometimes a person's budget requires one to look elsewhere. I support my shop in many other ways just not often with high end items, mostly a LOT of tying stuff and accessories, so I hope I am not coming off as too sacriligious.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
CNC Means Computer Numerical Control,we also have CAD which is Computer Aided,(I call it assisted), Drawing System.
Also when they say Forged,it's really A Casting Process called Investment Casting,parts can be accurately Cast,then they are CNC Machined which saves a lot of waste material,however it's not as accurate or as good as Finish as Straight out Machining.
Most Reels,including many of The Top Brands are now made in either Korea or China,the only difference is The Machining Patterns as everything else is nearly Identical,I know I've inspected a Couple & found The Machining to be quite good.
Incidently where I once worked as A Toolmaker/Inspector/Foreman I was certified to do NATA Inspections,some were on Parts we made for The US Army & Navy which had to meet their Specs.
Brian.
The ad for those Chinese reels said, 'CNC forged'. Me thinks they either messed up the translation to English or they're simply trying to mislead.

Your explanation of CNC is correct. How that relates to forging is what puzzles me. CNC is usually equated with the removal of metal.
Forging however is forging and is totally different than casting. A cast part is usually made from pouring molten metal into a mold. The reason some consider this less strong than other metal forming techniques is that porosity and sand entrapment can create weak spots.
Forging is done under extreme pressure and can create a part that is stronger than a cast and even a bar stock machined part. Cold forging is the epitome of strength but is going to be far more expensive to do than most other popular methods to create a part.
All three, bar stock, cast and forged traditionally require machining after the forming process. That might be where the company used CNC but a forged reel at that price? Highly doubtful. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard of or seen a forged fly reel (unless they mean they copied a design and made a forgery!)

I'm not trying to be argumentative, like you I spent a lot of time in inspection and quality control labs as well as hundreds of different machine shops (if not more) I've also enjoyed the works of fine chip-makers since I was a kid.