The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reels from China :-) on eBay

(unless they mean they copied a design and made a forgery!)

That's what we are talking about!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
(unless they mean they copied a design and made a forgery!)

That's what we are talking about!
There are 2 ways I think:
1. I suppose that CNC machines are cheap, somebody buy one and makes copy of good reels
2. reels, for example for Loop, are made by the same producers as for "Mr Chang", they change delicately pattern of spool gaps and sell them a little bit more expensive that their real cost excluding well known brand names.
Maybe I am wrong, maybe not.

BR
Tom
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

dmzoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Chinese fly reels vary tremendously in quality. That said;

go to Orvis and buy a Chinese reel.
Go to Cabela's, Bass Pro, look at a vast majority of the line, boxes, clothes, waders. You can drive an F150, wear a flag bandana, and go into Bass Pro and have a damned hard time buying anything made in America.

There is a trade off. Early last century almost every item made was made in the States....and Lake Erie was on fire. Today manufactured goods are made overseas and Lake Erie is afire.

Seriously, these reels are seldom knock-offs. They are run-offs...
the difference? Manufacturers develop almost all of their product line with zero input from the big names. Then at trade Expos the buyers for the big names meet representitives from the manufacturer. They then agree to buy set amounts of gear, all of which is branded right in China, Korea, Japan.
The gear which is not bought as an exclusive item is then able to be sold unbranded, or as an OEM.

And CNC Forged means the reel body and usually the spool are milled from a bar stock and things like the reel seat and drag knob are forged. Basically it's a cost cutter for the manufacturer, but it gives the same tolerance build as a full CNC reel.

Sorry that my first post is a rant. But this one kills me. Where did this begin?!? You never hear Bubba gawf at you on a bass lake for fishing a Shimano Calcutta. Toyota runs in NASCAR, and our president was born in........ welcome to the New World
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

tread lightly on the political stuff my friend.......a no-no around here.
that being said, welcome to the forum!
looking forward to hearing/seeing more from you.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Tarzan say 'Politics suck. Fishing good.'
Ungoaw'a. Ju-ju B'wana'

And no,,,it is not wise to argue with Tarzan.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Most fly shops are selling these reels under one name or another. I buy them as a fly shop, even from E-Bay if i can get them cheap enough..I keep prices down on resale as i am not looking to get rich like some stores. Go for it i use them all the way up to 9 wt.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM

whirlpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Also when they say Forged,it's really A Casting Process called Investment Casting,parts can be accurately Cast,then they are CNC Machined which saves a lot of waste material,however it's not as accurate or as good as Finish as Straight out Machining.
Most Reels,including many of The Top Brands are now made in either Korea or China,the only difference is The Machining Patterns as everything else is nearly Identical,I know I've inspected a Couple & found The Machining to be quite good.
Brian.
As far as I know no one has found a way to cast 6061 my former employer did it successfully in a lab with some success but was not able to develop a production process that would work, my experience is that material specs are not followed rigidly in china.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Oh No! Not Chinese reels again! See the recent thread below on "Cheap, Machined Reels", for additional entertainment.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpool View Post
As far as I know no one has found a way to cast 6061 my former employer did it successfully in a lab with some success but was not able to develop a production process that would work, my experience is that material specs are not followed rigidly in china.
I have a few Reels made in both China & Korea & haven't had any problem with them.
Investment Casting has come a long way as where I worked in The Mid- Late Sixties was really into it in a big way as I was A Toolmaker & Made Dies for The Wax Moulds.
We made everything from Rifle & Machine Gun Parts To Handcuffs also Stainless Steel Golf Club Heads which we previously Drop Forged & Aeroplane Launch Pins for Aircraft Carriers & The list goes on.
The main problem with casting Aluminium even though good quality Scrap Aluminium is used at times impurities can turn up especially Iron/Steel which when dunked in Water can Corrode/Pit.
It's very surprising what China does make as we all know most things these days are made there they not only make The Parts they also make The Machines to make The Parts.
Brian.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:24 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

My take on what the last three pages of posts are saying: It may be a great, decent, or crummy reel. You'll never know until you buy one and have it on the rod

I always go with "Let the buyer beware". If you go with an unknown, it is a pretty good bet they might not have the best customer service. But, there is an exception to every rule. Plus it's really inexpensive so you wouldn't be out much if it does go belly up.

If you get it, field test it on many, many fish and let us know how it does

Pete
williamhj likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16