The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/303008-galvan-spoke-galvan-torque.html)

jpwv12 11-21-2012 05:12 PM

Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque

I have been presented the opportunity to trade my Galvan Spoke S-4 for a Galvan Torque T-4. I believe I would prefer a Torque but a couple things are making me hesitant. One, the Spoke is much lighter than the Torque and the Spoke costs about $30-$50 more depending on where you purchase them. If you had a Spoke what would you do and why?

nicknick222 11-21-2012 05:30 PM

Re: Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque

You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?

jpwv12 11-21-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknick222 (Post 500423)
You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?

Not sure which one balances better. I think it will end up on a Scott A3 8' 4wt or a Scott G2 8'4" 4wt. I believe the weight difference is 0.5 oz. I have never used either but from an aesthetics perspective I definitely like the Torque better. I just dont want to compromise my setup for looks.

jaybo41 11-21-2012 06:31 PM

I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.

jpwv12 11-21-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 500435)
I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.

I agree regarding the Torque. I am leaning toward a bronze Torque, maybe black. I dont really like the look of the Spoke but thought the lighter reel on the rods I mentioned would work best. If 0.5 oz wont make much difference I am going with the Torque.

jaybo41 11-21-2012 07:31 PM

.5 oz won't break you, that's less than 1 oz!

caseywise 11-21-2012 09:53 PM

i personally like the torque better, but either reel would be a fine choice;)

casey

MoscaPescador 11-21-2012 10:04 PM

The Spoke has less surface area for the drag disk than the similarly sized Torque.

Is it that important on a 4 weight? You can make that call.

Dennis

jaybo41 11-22-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 500489)
The Spoke has less surface area for the drag disk than the similarly sized Torque.

Dennis

That's interesting Dennis, I did not know that. Thanks for the post, I've learned quite a bit from you since joining the forum and this is just another example.

jpwv12 11-22-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 500489)

Dennis

My uneducated quess is it does not matter in a 4 wt.