The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 PM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque

I have been presented the opportunity to trade my Galvan Spoke S-4 for a Galvan Torque T-4. I believe I would prefer a Torque but a couple things are making me hesitant. One, the Spoke is much lighter than the Torque and the Spoke costs about $30-$50 more depending on where you purchase them. If you had a Spoke what would you do and why?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Galvan Spoke or Galvan Torque

You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
You cant go wrong with either of them! And in the smaller sizes, the difference in weight is not much at all. Its more of which one you prefer. Which one balances better with your set up?
Not sure which one balances better. I think it will end up on a Scott A3 8' 4wt or a Scott G2 8'4" 4wt. I believe the weight difference is 0.5 oz. I have never used either but from an aesthetics perspective I definitely like the Torque better. I just dont want to compromise my setup for looks.

Last edited by jpwv12; 11-21-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I can't speak to the performance of the spoke, but can tell you that the Torque is one sweet looking reel with an insanely smooth drag. I actually prefer the look over the spoke, but that's just me. The good news is that either option sets you up with an amazing reel.
I agree regarding the Torque. I am leaning toward a bronze Torque, maybe black. I dont really like the look of the Spoke but thought the lighter reel on the rods I mentioned would work best. If 0.5 oz wont make much difference I am going with the Torque.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

.5 oz won't break you, that's less than 1 oz!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i personally like the torque better, but either reel would be a fine choice

casey

ARFE
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Spoke has less surface area for the drag disk than the similarly sized Torque.

Is it that important on a 4 weight? You can make that call.

Dennis
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The Spoke has less surface area for the drag disk than the similarly sized Torque.

Dennis
That's interesting Dennis, I did not know that. Thanks for the post, I've learned quite a bit from you since joining the forum and this is just another example.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
My uneducated quess is it does not matter in a 4 wt.