The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 PM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your opinion?

I already have a 5 weight that I fish really well, so most likely will go with that Ross package. ...seems like a good deal1
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that a fly rod has two purposes. The primary one is to cast the fly, mend line, etc. That is what everyone, including myself has addressed.

The second one is to subdue the fish quickly so it does not die of lactic acidosis. I understand that big fish can be caught with light rods, but I don't think anyone can argue that one can subdue a fish faster with a heavier rod.

I would suggest that when you pick the rod to use, you consider both criteria. It is fun to fish light weight rods, but if there is the chance you will hook a large fish, consider using heavy enough tackle for you to tame it without stressing it to exhaustion. In the case you want to use that 2/3 wt in Montana, please consider the fish first.
mojo, imxer, mcnerney and 2 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

When I spent some time in Missoula this past August, I brought a 8'6" 4wt and a 9' 6wt (both modern graphite and fast action) for fishing Rock Creek. I also brought a 7'8" Dan Craft 0/1 wt for a day hike up Kootenai Creek and back. On the day we drifted the Bitteroot the guide used 9' 5wt Orvis Access rods.

It was mostly hopper fishing, but the rods worked out just fine for me.

I also poked around in a number of fly shops in the area. Everyone was really nice and helpful. You won't go wrong if you save up between now and the move in order to purchase on-site.

Whatever you do, I'm pretty jealous that you'll get to live in Missoula. Make sure to frequent the Tamarack Brewpub--great food and drink.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I would suggest that when you pick the rod to use, you consider both criteria. It is fun to fish light weight rods, but if there is the chance you will hook a large fish, consider using heavy enough tackle for you to tame it without stressing it to exhaustion. In the case you want to use that 2/3 wt in Montana, please consider the fish first.
I agree with your entire post, Silver. But there are plenty of opportunities, maybe a good amount of the fishing one decided to do, where a 3WT is completely suitable. There is always a chance a hooking a much bigger than fish anticipated on a small trib of the Bitterroot or Clark Fork, and that is why we (I) explore them, but I'm not out there with my 2/3 WT looking for big fish.

It just make exploring and fishing the small streams fun ... the 8' 2 or 3 WT.

I'll digress to the topic of the thread, one doesn't need to arm oneself with a bunch of rods to come and fish in Montana. The 9' 5WT or 4WT will do you fine in 90% of your fishing ... until you decide you want to focus on a specific, be it big Missouri trout, or nymphing the Madison (or anywhere), dries on wherever ... wait and see what takes you after you get here. Because it will happen, and then you'll most likely want to replace whatever rod you bought to bring with you.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Congratulations on moving to Montana, even if it is to Missoula, a metropolis replete with traffic jams and 4 (or 5?) exits on the interstate. Oh well, modern life.

You have gotten plenty of good advise here especially no to buy anything. A 9'/#5 is good for 95% of Montana fishing. Now it happens I fish 4 & 6 weights in Montana too under special appropriate conditions/environments but I have lots of rods. Like Dean said, there are perhaps 3 fly shops in Missoula, develop a relationship with them and it will help your fishing more than the new rod you buy after developing some experience in the area. They will like you more for taking their advice on the outfit to buy with added knowledge that they will continue to assist you with. I doubt they will recommend a 3-weight, I wouldn't, but after you become an informed Montana angler you can acquire all manor of specialized stuff for your own idiosyncratic edification. I personally never go lighter than a #4 because, as Silver Cr. said above, line control and mending are a prime fly rod job and less mass than a #4 is problematic except in the hands of someone with expertise in super light weight line manipulation.
imxer likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Congratulations on moving to Montana, even if it is to Missoula, a metropolis replete with traffic jams and 4 (or 5?) exits on the interstate. Oh well, modern life.
Hey now ... easy. Missoulians are awfully proud of their small-town metropolis! You're right though, the sprawl is bad but downtown Missoula is still a very lively, small district. It's pretty cool to live in a city of 70K people yet see folks you know nearly everywhere you go. There are actually 3 Missoula exits, plus E Missoula and the airport. Heck, even Bozeman has 3 interstate exits and a mile long strip of 4-lane sprawl replete with every box and chain store you can think of. Modern life is right.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Dean, My younger brother went to college there in the begining or the 70's so I remember the way it used to be. This past July my wife and I need to stop for a part in Radio Shack and we got lost and stuck in the new part of town. I guess Hanson's Ice Cream Parlor is long gone.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Yeah, that Reserve Street strip an awful place! I moved here in 1999 and the N end of that road was just being developed. So even I've seen the incremental growth in just over a dozen years. I wish I could see Missoula 40 years ago; while I'm sure it was quite a bit different, were the teepee burners were still choking the air then?

No more Hanson's, but we've now go the Big Dipper a "new" local icon in the ice cream realm. The Oxford is going strong!

--------

Did you and/or your brother know Gary LaFontaine? Wasn't he at the UM about then?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Haha thanks guys. We chose Missoula because Montana State offers a nursing program in Missoula and I will be a Griz after she graduates. I live just outside of Des Moines Iowa so the "big" city of Missoula won't bither us much, we will have to be in an aoartment or condo until we can find a home outside of town to buy. But in regards to the posts up top, I will be using my 5# when fishing the larger rivers just in case I do hook up with a big fish, I was looking for a 3# dry fly rod for the smaller streams. Thanks for all the advice, and maybe when we get out there someone who lives close could meet up and teach me a few things about fly fishing Montana style!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
My wife and I are moving to Missoula MT next August. I have a Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 5 weight and am not sure which reel I have on it. My dad gave me this setup for fishing small streams in NE Iowa. I am looking into a couple new rod/reel outfits for under $400 each. I really prefer dry fly fishing, although im not opposed to nymphing or using streamers either. I never had trouble landing dries fairly smoothky, but am interested in trying a 3 weight for dries mainly looking at Allen and tfo bvk rods in 3 and either 7 or 8 weight rods deoending on if I am fishing streams or large rivers. What reel would you pair with each of these? I like the look of Ross and Orvis reels and wouldn't turn my nose up at a quality used outfit either. Unfortunately no good fly shops wround here or I would just go there. Thanks guys and gals
One of the great things about Missoula is that you can't swing a dead cat in the street without hitting a decent fly shop or two. If I were you I would wait till I got there to go shopping for a new rig. You will get a lot better informed and pertinent advice for the actual local conditions you will be fishing than you can on an internet bulletin board, not to mention local dealers whom you can rely on to stand behind what they sell after the sale.

That said, I'm in the camp that would recommend a 9' #4 and #6 rather than a 3 (too specialized, not versatile enough) or a 7-8 (too heavy for most trout situations). Lots of people buy an 8.5 or 9 foot 5 as an all-around "do-anything" rod, but the problem with a 5 is that it's a compromise -- not quite as good in the wind or with weighted streamers as a 6, not quite as delicate for tiny dry flies and wispy tippets as a 4. Once you have a 5, too, you're not going to want to shell out a lot of money for another 4 or 6 rig that is only slightly better in a given situation, and you may not want to shell out a lot either for a 3 or 7 that may only occasionally be needed instead of the 5.

Seems to me, your best choice is between getting 2 cheaper rods, a 4 and a 6, that between them can cover the widest range of fishing situations you're likely to encounter, or spending the same money to get one really high-end, versatile 5 weight outfit that can cover the same range of situations, if perhaps not quite as well at the very light and very heavy ends of the spectrum. That's where the local advice would be really helpful -- how often are you likely to be in situations where having the 4 or the 6 instead of the 5 will give you a happier day on the water? How much happier would you be the rest of the time with a really spiff outfit rather than a mid-priced one? You'll have a better answer to those questions once you get in the shop and wiggle the goods and talk to someone who knows how the local waters are actually fishing this season.

One missing piece of the puzzle is that you didn't say how long your Cabela's 5 wt rod is. If it's a 9 footer it probably will already cover most of the situations you're likely to encounter in Montana well enough, so you can enjoy the luxury of waiting to see what might be the best next addition to your quiver until after you've seen the fishing conditions for yourself. If it's a 7 to 8 footer, though, it really is more of a small stream rod, and you ought to be thinking about adding a 9' rod in any line weight you prefer for a lot of the bigger Montana water.
dean_mt likes this.