The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your opinion?

My mistake, its an 8'6" 5#
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
We chose Missoula because Montana State offers a nursing program in Missoula and I will be a Griz after she graduates.
Lesson 1, and this is important, Missoula is home to The University of Montana Grizzlies. Bozeman is Montana State University Bobcats. It is the only real rivalry of any kind in Montana, and it is pretty big. Griz - Cat weekend is like ... think Michigan - Michigan State in terms of Big 10 (or whatever the hell it is now, Big 17?). I mostly try to ignore it. But football is big in Missoula.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Dean, I thought the biggest rivalry in your area was between fly fishermen and Mitchell's Slough land owners! Yes, back in the day the acrid smoke could really gag you if the wind was westerly and I didn't meet LaFontain till years latter. There was no speed limit in Montana before the '74 oil embargo and I could be on local water, driving 110 mph, like Rock Cr. in a few minuets. It was on Rock Cr. in 1974 that I met a well outfitted gentleman fishing a Fenwick HMG...the first graphite rod ever introduced. I was fishing a Scott Pow-R-Ply yellowish tan fiberglass rod that I had bought in town, an 8'/#6 5pc. with an LRH Lightweight that lived strapped to my frame pack for jaunts up into the Bob to fish the Sun. Those are the days I remember most sharply. We would take 200 up the Blackfoot to Augusta or Choteau as a jump off but would go into Wolf Creek for supplies sometime and I remember looking at the mighty Missouri and thinking,"where are the paddle boats and riverboat gamblers?" It never occurred to me then that decades latter that broad flow would be low enough to become an international focal point for dry fly purists but I spend a lot of time there now. I could walk across the street from my brother's house (it is a parking lot now) and catch cutthroat in Rattlesnake Cr. and the co-eds were fabulous.

But I digress. Again, take your Cabelas #5 out there with you and before your wife graduates you will have an 8 1/2'/#4 for the smaller streams, a first rate 9'/#5 dry fly magic wand and a 9'/#6 powerhouse for floating the Clark Fork. But wait til you learn the ropes and develop some perspective before you buy stuff you'll find superfluous later. And try that new ice cream parlor.
dean_mt and oarfish like this.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice gents. Montana State's primary camous is in Bozeman....but they do offer their nursing program in Missoula at the Montana University campus according to the MSU website-not sure how that works but we'll take it! I am a big fan of Montana Grizz football, the wife has to attend MSU because they are the only school thst offers a nursing program unfortunately. I am hoping to attend The University of Montana and going thru the wildlife management program, thats what ive been praying for anyways