The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Your opinion?

My wife and I are moving to Missoula MT next August. I have a Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 5 weight and am not sure which reel I have on it. My dad gave me this setup for fishing small streams in NE Iowa. I am looking into a couple new rod/reel outfits for under $400 each. I really prefer dry fly fishing, although im not opposed to nymphing or using streamers either. I never had trouble landing dries fairly smoothky, but am interested in trying a 3 weight for dries mainly looking at Allen and tfo bvk rods in 3 and either 7 or 8 weight rods deoending on if I am fishing streams or large rivers. What reel would you pair with each of these? I like the look of Ross and Orvis reels and wouldn't turn my nose up at a quality used outfit either. Unfortunately no good fly shops wround here or I would just go there. Thanks guys and gals
Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

For flinging dries check out the Allen ATS, the medium action is very favorable to presenting a dry and overall the rod is great for smaller waters and certainly affordable. As far as reels go, the trout II is awesome. I have the trout I on my 2/3wt setup but will hopefully be upgrading soon.

I think the seven or eight weight is going to be too heavy for Montana, but I may be mistaken. I think you'll be better off with a 9' 6wt for streamers and heavier nymph rigs and a 5 for everything else on the bigger waters. I don't know the Ross reels but if you're going with Orvis the Access reels are probably what you're looking for. Good luck and enjoy!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Your opinion?

I have heard that shorter rods are harder to cast, and would make sense to me that they are harder to mend? Is this true or heresay?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Depends.. are you looking for distance.. or presentation.. shorter rods will usually have a harder time getting more line out than a 9'.. but that really can all come down to how you cast... mending can be tougher.. especially if you are working a very wide stream.. or working a run with a ton of different currents in it... and need to keep your line off the water.... long leaders can also be tricky with small rods.. small rods are great though for those smaller.. tighter.. and bushy creeks that keep anglers away because there's "too much stuff in the way".. if you like keeping your distance from others.. small rod will get you into the tougher.. less adventured areas

I own a 7'6" 4wt.. which is really now my "all around" small stream rod.. i can cast buggers.. nymphing rigs... and dries...

Also own a 9' 6wt for larger rivers/streams in the area.. this rod will get me bigger mends.. more line control on bigger streams.. and allow me to throw even bigger rigs...

And then there is the new addition.. my 8'6" 3wt.. which will now be my small stream rod... more so for small pasture style streams.. and when I want to high-stick.. where I have more room to work with and can allow a bigger rod.. but don't need the bigger backbone of the 6wt

Oh and as for reels.. check out The Clymb.. they have Redington and Ross reels on sale over there right now.. along with Redington CPX rods...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

IMO a 6 will do you for most MT fishing. If you want a lighter rod later for small water etc., I would suggest a 4.
Best of luck, enjoy MT?

Imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I lived in MT for 4 years and I'd agree with imxer. If I were limited to 2 rods for there, I would have chosen a 9' 6 wt (for rivers like the Madison) and maybe an 8 - 8'6 4 wt (for the smaller waters/spring creeks). That said, if I was limited to one rod for everything, I would choose an 8'6 or 9' 5 wt. There are a lot of great rods out there on clearance right now that may suit your purposes. Good luck and enjoy MT.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations on the move to a cool locale.

You could always wait until you arrive in Missoula and use the purchase of a new outfit or two, to grease the information wheels of whichever fly shop in the region you feel most comfortable with.

TT
mcnerney and fishiowa like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I saw that Ross has an outfit called the Essence Elit I believe, an 8'6" 3weight might be just the ticket. My Fish Eagle 2 is over 9' I believe and I have gitten pretty good with that rod, and have recently gotten good enough @ roll casting for when I have over the top cover.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Congratulations on the move to a cool locale.

You could always wait until you arrive in Missoula and use the purchase of a new outfit or two, to grease the information wheels of whichever fly shop in the region you feel most comfortable with.

TT
I've fished in Missoula several times. The Grizzy Hackle fly shop is the best known. You will likely be fishing the Bitterroot, the Blackfoot, and the Clark Fork Rivers. The Bitterooot and the Blackfoot River enter the Clark Fork. A short drive from Missoula is Rock Creek. All are good sized.

Most fly fishers suggest a 9 ft 5 wt as the starting point for a fly on these water. However, I do not take my 9 ft 5 wt when I fish Montana. I take two rods, a 10 ft 5 wt GLoomis GLX Classic and a Gary Borger Pro series 9 ft 4 wt for spring creeks.

The 10 footer is great on lakes like Hebgen and on big rivers like the Madison.

I agree that it is probably best to wait until you get to Missoula to buy. You can't go wrong with a 9 ft 5 wt as a single all around rod, but if you get two rods, I would add a 10 footer.
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 11-23-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Along with the rivers SC has mentioned there are a lot of really fun small streams as well. If you were to have just two rods I would suggest a 3 and 5 wt, or a 4 and 6 wt. You will not need a 7 or 8 weight for trout fishing around here, it would be overkill. A 6wt is as heavy as would go and it is nice for heavy nymphing and streamer fishing. But if you don't do it a lot, then a good 5WT is completely sufficient. A nice med-fast 9' 5WT would be a great all around rod, then you could opt for a 8'6" (or so) 3WT for the many dry fly opportunities on smaller rivers.

I fish a 9' 4WT almost exclusively. It is a superior dry fly rod for any river and is a suitable nymph rod.

I would urge you to wait until you get here, for a number of reasons. First, you will get better advice from the shops here, than people from all over (no offense to anyone out there!), and second it is a great opportunity to establish a relationship with a local shop (which you will need to do) and spend some money in your community. There are four very nice shops in town, The Grizzly Hackle is the big Orvis shop, The Kingfisher, The Missoulian Angler, and Blackfoot River Outfitters - a small Orvis endorsed shop.
mcnerney likes this.