The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM

thekrow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New fly fisherman. Reel choice.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll be researching them this evening. I chose the 8wt rod because we have some monster bass in central Florida, and I'll be saltwater fishin as well. Usually catch reds, sea trout, grouper, snook, etc. So I'd like to have the heft of a #8 rod. I wouldn't mind a smaller rod for small bass and pan fish. But I can only afford one set up. And I don't wanna break stuff while reeling in a huge red. Please keep the info coming. Thanks all.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Check fly shop closeouts. They have the Orvis Hydros Large Arbor IV 7/8wt on sale for $205.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM

I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I am really happy with my Ross CLA 4, it's a sweet reel and reviews say it stands up well when put to the test, even to screaming bonefish runs. Here are some on sale for $175, looks like

Ross CLA Fly Reels at FishUSA.com - America's Tackle Shop

Ross makes legit products, I have 5 of their reels. Noticed Lamson Konic was mentioned on here too, I have one of those and love it but was told hat the CLA is much more hassle-proof in the salt, FWIW
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would look for a reel with a sealed drag if you go into salt. Wright & Mcgill Sabalos 7/8 or Lamsom guru 3,Sage 2000 series these are all good reels in your pricepoint. Just make sure to rinse your reel with freshwater after use. Having a sealed drag you dont have to worry about sand or grit getting into the sealed housing.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I agree, Lamson Konic would be a good choice. They're on sale at Cabela's right now, the model you'd probably get for bass (#3 I believe) is on sale for less than $100. Great value.

Tom
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
may wanna check these-
Kraken Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
solid gear!

casey
I think I've made up my mind. Kraken, it is. Thanks everyone. If I know myself well, I'm sure I'll have several different reels before long. Lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Check fly shop closeouts. They have the Orvis Hydros Large Arbor IV 7/8wt on sale for $205.
That's just standard Orvis pricing. Orvis is offering a $50 discount on all the Hydros reels through Dec 26 at their own website too. But FSC does have a decent discount on those Lamson Konics.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

achernan28 is on a distinguished road

Would a 9 wt work for both bass and saltwater you want to use it in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by achernan28 View Post
Would a 9 wt work for both bass and saltwater you want to use it in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I think it's a matter of preference and what kind of fishing you'll do most. A 9 would work for both, but might be more rod than you need for freshwater bass. In particular, it would be harder to lob deer hair poppers with a stiff saltwater 9 wt rod designed for shooting lots of line, and the heavier rod is more wearying to cast all day. On the other hand, an 8 is just right for bass and would be great too for a lot of inshore saltwater situations, but might not handle heavy wind and/or 30+ lb stripers or reds as easily.

Update: I just realized I was answering as if the question were about 9 wt rods, not reels. The original post was about rods, but the conversation had drifted over to reels. Lots of reels can handle both 8 and 9 weight lines -- just get one rated for both and get an extra spool.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 11-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.