The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: New fly fisherman. Reel choice.

I have an older Allen XL in 7/8 on my 7wt.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM

thekrow is on a distinguished road

Has anyone heard of the konic having any durability issues? Considering it is cast aluminum. I've heard wonderful things about the drag. But not much about the coating. Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
sbreech

The Konic is a nice reel, but be a more careful with it than with a machined reel (be careful with them all!). My buddy had a Konic and when he was unhooking a fish in the stream, dropped it on a rock (not from very far up) and it did break a chunk out of the frame rendering in unusable. It wasn't covered by warranty either because it was deemed misuse, which I would have to agree with, although an accident. I suppose the same could happen to my cast magnesium reels, which I bought knowing the fragility but desiring the light weight for UL applications.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

I have an Orvis Access Mid-Arbor on my 8wt that I use for bass, plike and when I go FL. I know you mentioned large arbor but I went with the V instead of the IV which holds plenty of backing plus line. When I am in FL, I tend to fish an 8wt line inshore and 9wt in the gulf, so the reel gives me best of both worlds.

Dave
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

We're in Texas and do quite a bit of salt water wade fishing without a boat. Reels get wet/dunked/slopped on every trip. I have 2 sons who "fly" so am always after the best/cheapest option.

I like the Sage 1600/1800 series when on a budget. Have great graphite drags. Konics are good choice at this price point. Below $200 retail and corrosion is a real concern. However a bit a fresh water and CorrosionX can mitigate majority of corrosion issues. Just need to make clean up a ritual.

However patrol this site's classifieds has some very sweet deals come up all the time. Maybe post a WTB (want to buy) ad for a used reel. Might get a diamond in the rough for darn cheap.

If you have a cel that you can call all over the US surf up a bunch of fly shops, call them to see what they have used.

I have 2 Ross Evolutions (3.0 & 3.5) and one Ross Rythm 3.0 that are fine reels for salt water use. Very corrosion resistant. IMHO their use of some plastic is good, those parts won't rust/corrode. All at $150 or less.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics of your catch.

Pete A.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

I would go for a Lamson. the quality is great and the drag is even better. the drag is conical unlike any other reel that i can think of. and they are completely sealed. also very light. i used to have an orvis battenkill and my lamson is way better.