The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM

thekrow is on a distinguished road
Default New fly fisherman. Reel choice.

I'm new to fly fishing. I want to fish for bass. I will most likely buy a #8 TFO rod. I need some recommendations on a reel. Id like a large arbor. Must be able to use in salt water. I dont want a plain black one. I'd like something, classy looking. For lack of better words. And also under $200. All advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New fly fisherman. Reel choice.

How about an Okuma Helios? I hear good things about them.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekrow View Post
I'm new to fly fishing. I want to fish for bass. I will most likely buy a #8 TFO rod. I need some recommendations on a reel. Id like a large arbor. Must be able to use in salt water. I dont want a plain black one. I'd like something, classy looking. For lack of better words. And also under $200. All advice is welcome. Thank you.
Although I am new to fly fishing as well and dont have any experience to back up my suggestion, I recommend the Galvan Torque. You can find them on ebay in your price range if you watch closely. I went with a Torque in bronze.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekrow View Post
Why are you going with such a heavy rod?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM

ultralightidaho is on a distinguished road

I would do a lamson konic.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

may wanna check these-
Kraken Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
solid gear!

casey
thekrow likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
Why are you going with such a heavy rod?
if you're chucking fluff into weed beds a 8wt is where it'll be at for bass.. last thing you want is to try and strong arm a 4-5# bass out of thick weeds or lily pads with too light of a rod.. Plus he said he wants a reel that's sealed for salt.. So i imagine it'll also make a few trips to bigger fish territory..

This past spring I had a big bucket mouth give my 9wt a run for it's money as it was doubled over during the fight... He could've swallowed my 8/9 SLV

Click the image to open in full size.
thekrow likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

That's a nice bass. Fishing a rod that heavy for bass isn't my idea of fun. Then again, I horse bass out of weeds with a 6wt and 4x. To each their own.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Lamson Konic 4 matchs up nice with TFO. I have one on my 9wt BVK. Also try the new Allen Kraken reel looks real nice for the price. And for general use in most SW situations an 8 wt is a good choice. Worked for me for a long time.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Allen Trout reel on my 6wt bass rod and like the reel. I've got an Orvis Mid-Arbor on my 8wt that I love bass and pike. They no longer sell it thought you can find them from time to time, I think the Access reel replaced the mid-arbor in their line-up, which would come in under $200. It's not large arbor though.

Nothing wrong with an 8wt for bass, especially if they are sizable or there's lots of cover. It can be fun to fight a big fish on a smaller rod, but it can really wear them out. If I have to bring one rod for bass fishing on vacation it'll usually be the 8 even if the bass aren't huge, from time to time a pike will show up and they can be fun.