The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light
Default Reel for Redington CT 3 weight

I just snagged (OK, bought) a 7'6" Classic Trout 3 weight from Cabela's. Couldn't resist the $75 price tag.

I've got the rod in a 9' 4 weight and have really enjoyed it.

The 3 weight target waters are smaller New Mexico rivers, which are, generally, pretty small streams 5-20' wide. While there are occasional pigs in these waters, the fish are usually pretty small - 6-15".

I'd like recommendations for a reel. I'm willing to go as high as $120 or so, and would like something light and balanced for the rod.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reel for Redington CT 3 weight

This would do the job nicely, balance well, and look great doing it as well.

Or you could go with the 3/4, but it would change the balance.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Or the redington Rise they have been on sale lately and I just got the burnt orange and it seems like a great little reel, have not used it yet though
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I have 3 Okuma SLVs and none of them have failed me so far.. you can snag'em on the auction site for $40-60.. actually have a 2/3 SLV on my 8'6" 3wt CT
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

This is the reel i use on the exact same rod. I bought it from a guy on the UK forum (sister site of this forum).
Its a cracker. Well machined, very light, and balances the rod perfectly!
Comes with a neoprene pouch, and the guy is a stand up guy, if there's any problems with it, he'll do hit best to rectify it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Bob,
I use the Cortland Retro '1' Click and Pawl drag reel on my CT 8' 3wt rod. It balances the rod well and looks great. I did a review of the reel a couple of months ago on this forum in the tackle section. You can see the pictures in the review post.

The reel is fully machined, very light, has ample backing capacity (not that you would ever need it) and the adjustable click and pawl drag is perfect on a light trout reel. It also has the nice retro look which I personally prefer on my light trout rods. Finally, it cost me ~ $75 new.
fishiowa likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Bob,
I use the Cortland Retro '1' Click and Pawl drag reel on my CT 8' 3wt rod. It balances the rod well and looks great. I did a review of the reel a couple of months ago on this forum in the tackle section. You can see the pictures in the review post.

The reel is fully machined, very light, has ample backing capacity (not that you would ever need it) and the adjustable click and pawl drag is perfect on a light trout reel. It also has the nice retro look which I personally prefer on my light trout rods. Finally, it cost me ~ $75 new.
Echos my thoughts exactly. I think Cabela's has them on sale now for $80, which is an absolute steal in my eyes.