The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO BVK reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Wide vs. Narrow Spool Width

Brookfield, It is an opinion I have developed more in the salt than sweet water, but, after fishing a great many different reels and being a keen experimenter, I have grown to regard wide spools (in excess of 1") as a design flaw. I too am fully capable of re-lining a wide reel uniformly and, therefore, am aware of the additional attention required to do it which I much prefer to use focused on the fish. Some reel designers postulate from an engineering perspective that wide spools alter the drag setting to a lesser degree by maintaining a more constant diameter. This is true but is better achieved by increasing the diameter of the spool itself so, even if narrow, the diameter remains comparatively large. Don't take my word for it, Hardy which knows a thing or two about reels makes all their modern performance reels narrow an extols this feature and Abel which formerly and uniquely offered the angler a choice of wide or narrow versions of its Super series, has been redesigning the entire line-up to be narrow only.

Sometimes, what makes a piece of fly fishing tackle perform better while fishing is counter to what efficient engineering principles might be.
While I don't really disagree with you, I think that the element of width is one small piece of the pie that is being used entirely to determine the quality of the reel. If all reels came in one of two ways - wide/flat spool and narrow flat spool - I would say that I agree 100% with you.

Fortunately, there are more options and things to consider. One of the most important thing that I think is being overlooked in this debate is spool shape. The BVK LA isnt just a flat channel spool; there is a "U" shape to it which helps aid in easier line recovery in terms of having to guide the line on the spool evenly. Allen, the reel company, apparently picked up on this idea as well as the new Kraken reel suddenly features a "V" shaped spool for that exact purpose. I think this is a huge improvement over the flat spool of the Alpha.

Like I said...I just think there is more to the story than just width.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am uncertain of who came up with the inwardly tapering internal diameter of the capacity bearing portion of the fly reel spool. The previously mentioned Hardy DD has it , Lamsons' new Speedster too, Cheeky reels feature an internal channel as well as the new Allen. A good idea to expand capacity and collect backing, however, as in an automobile tire, aspect ratio is the key...it is where the rubber meets the road and where fly reels risk uneven build up of the much thicker fly line in the end of the battle with the big boys. Width to depth; no matter how deep or via what configuration all that is achieved is expanded capacity (which of course is a good thing) but that width issue remains and a jam against a pillar in the end of the game can change the outcome from a photo op to a one-that-got-away story. There are just so many reel makers and designs with different aesthetics and drag capabilities to fine tune a perfectly balance rod and reel outfit with that I see no need to compromise with design elements where a superior alternative is available. Sure I fish a few reels that are not going to make it into my "Reel Love" write-ups, which is how I learn about what not to mate to my next new rod.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
And what about guys like myself who prefer tuxedo t-shirts and Pantagonia jackets?
"Pantagonia"? You must be a connoisseur of underappreciated imitations, knockoffs and forgeries. Try this thread:

Reels from China :-) on eBay

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Then go with a Hatch!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The Hatch Reels have dead perfect aspect ratio, the alternative of a deeper mid arbor spool, a flawless drag and are rock solid. They actually performed line oscillation experiments to determine the correct width of their spool! Very cool. These are first class, CA built reels but at a distinctly different price point than sought in this thread.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough

I own a BVK III.
It is a nice reel for the price, but I feel the drag is a bit light on for an 8# outfit, even when cranked up to the max. I now use this reel for bass as the drag is never required.
Very light and smooth, looks good.
The hardy was my original choice, but was said to have a week drag?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I am not one of those guys that likes to "lock out" my drag. As I said, the BVK III had more than enough drag for 14lb redfish, and it wasn't close to maximum resistance. My Hardy DD is on a 5wt, and again it has more than enough drag for that purpose. MY BVK IV is a different story. Huge backing capacity, but I am not sure about the drag strenth for its intended purpose. On my 8wt, I generally use leaders in the 3X to 0X class for freshwater applications, and 16 to 20 pound class for salt water apps.. The BVK III is more than adequate there; my TFO rep. told me that the max. drag resistance is 9lbs. I won't get into the discussion of how inadequate that answer is because it should be rated in terms of Torque due to the diameter of the wound line on the spool affecting the drag resistance...The same amount of force (pull) on the line will feel very different depending on the radius from the spindle axis on which it is applied.

The BVK IV is designed for 10wt and up, with the capacity being more than enough for 12wt lines. With that size tackle, I am using 30lb class leaders for Tarpon, and I do not think the BVK IV has the "guts" for that....but the jury is still out. This spring will tell the tale when I hook up to a few 100 lb class Costa Rican Tarpon with it, but I'll definitely have my Islander LX 4.0 waiting on the bench.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM

mrfx, I'm thinking you should have the Islander in your boat bag ready to stand in for the melted and deformed reel you'll be "testing". I've said it many a time but reel design suitable, even desirable for trout does not often translate well into the big game saltwater arena.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
mrfx, I'm thinking you should have the Islander in your boat bag ready to stand in for the melted and deformed reel you'll be "testing". I've said it many a time but reel design suitable, even desirable for trout does not often translate well into the big game saltwater arena.
I absolutely agree! And, yep, it will be there waiting. I have used the now discontinued TFO LA425 on Tarpon and found them to be more than adequate, but of course they are now passe. With our booking agency we have to be able to reccommend tackle at various price points, as we book for fishermen (and women) of a wide variety of financial means. The 425 was a great option. My TFO rep wants us to reccommend the BVK in place of the 425.....we'll see. I have my doubts. A big Tarpon (for fish over 100 lbs)capable reel under $300 is not easy to find, and we've burned through quite a few different models/brands. And yes, having to gear up for a trip can be a deal breaker!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM

That is too bad, my wife fishes the red TFO375 on her BVK#8; it is a true draw-bar reel and (though too wide) is a well designed and built reel for the price. I am always surprised when someone is willing to spend the big bucks to participate in a destination fishing trip; air planes, lodge, guides, etc. but is reluctant to buy the quality and quantity of gear requisite to assure a successful adventure. You even get to fish this tackle again should you choose to re-book next year...it's an investment.