The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM

achernan28 is on a distinguished road
Default TFO BVK reel

Anyone had the chance to own one of these reels? I'm thinking of getting one in moss green for my 4 wt. for $225 is it all that its said to be? Ay thoughts from someone who knows reels more than I do.

Thanks
Alex
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: TFO BVK reel

With all BVK's popularity I am surprised you are the first to ask about its intended matching reel. Unfortunately, though I have glanced at it and it looks good, I have no experience with it to warrant a recommendation. It strikes me though, that it bears a distinct similarity with Hardy's Ultralte DD which has been a terrific trout reel for me over the past two seasons.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

After checking their specs on-line (on TFO's site) just now I find one thing I do not care for: the 1.30" width of the spool is, in my strong opinion, too wide for intuitive and uniform line/backing retrieval. I suggest looking at the much narrower Hardy DD instead.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have the bvk large arbor for my 6wt and love it. Line retrieval has never been an issue and I have been 70 plus yards into my backing on a number of occasions.

The drag is great and quite smooth with a good startup and consistent pressure.

I'd definitely feel comfortable giving a recommendation for this reel
Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have the bvk large arbor for my 6wt and love it. Line retrieval has never been an issue and I have been 70 plus yards into my backing on a number of occasions.

The drag is great and quite smooth with a good startup and consistent pressure.

I'd definitely feel comfortable giving a recommendation for this reel

x2 for the 8wt reel.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

achernan28 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, you all know a lot more about what to look for at this time than me at my early days of fly fishing. Aside from I consider a stunning beauty, I probably can't go wrong. In terms of telling the difference between it and a higher end product, I just don't have the ability to discern that right now.

I'm going to do some looking at the Hardy DD as well.

Thanks everyone.

Alex
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I've got one of the Hardy Ultralite DD's as well, but for a 6wt. If I had to pick, I'd take the Hardy over TFO without a second thought.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Wide vs. Narrow Spool Width

Brookfield, It is an opinion I have developed more in the salt than sweet water, but, after fishing a great many different reels and being a keen experimenter, I have grown to regard wide spools (in excess of 1") as a design flaw. I too am fully capable of re-lining a wide reel uniformly and, therefore, am aware of the additional attention required to do it which I much prefer to use focused on the fish. Some reel designers postulate from an engineering perspective that wide spools alter the drag setting to a lesser degree by maintaining a more constant diameter. This is true but is better achieved by increasing the diameter of the spool itself so, even if narrow, the diameter remains comparatively large. Don't take my word for it, Hardy which knows a thing or two about reels makes all their modern performance reels narrow an extols this feature and Abel which formerly and uniquely offered the angler a choice of wide or narrow versions of its Super series, has been redesigning the entire line-up to be narrow only.

Sometimes, what makes a piece of fly fishing tackle perform better while fishing is counter to what efficient engineering principles might be.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have both the BVK III and the newer BVK IV. I used the III with and 8wt set-up this past June for Redfish in Louisiana. It performed flawlessly on the Reds that I caught (up to 14 pounds). The drag was plenty stout, and extremely smooth. I also have a Hardy Ultrlite DD 5000 that I use on my 5wt set-up, and it is equally smooth. When I took the Hardy apart to switch the retrieve from left hand to right I was fascinated to see that the clutch bearing inside it is virtually IDENTICAL to the BVK. The only real difference between the reels is how the spool is held onto the spindle. The hardy uses a threaded "nut", and the BVK uses a latch-lever release. I don't think you will go wrong with either reel, and I think aesthetics is the determining factor since they are realistically at the same price point. The BVK comes in Green, Gold, and Platinum, while the Hardy comes in smoke grey. Both are very high luster finishes, and both are good looking reels IMHO. I will give the edge in looks to the Hardy.....There is just something special about that little gold crown......

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Actually I think its a castellion of a castle tower.....

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
I've got one of the Hardy Ultralite DD's as well, but for a 6wt. If I had to pick, I'd take the Hardy over TFO without a second thought.
Both are high quality, both are made in Asia. It comes down to color preference and what you wear to keep warm. (If you wear a sweatshirt get a TFO, if you wear a tweed jacket get a Hardy.)
mrfzx likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Both are high quality, both are made in Asia. It comes down to color preference and what you wear to keep warm. (If you wear a sweatshirt get a TFO, if you wear a tweed jacket get a Hardy.)

And what about guys like myself who prefer tuxedo t-shirts and Pantagonia jackets?
mrfzx likes this.