The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Martin 61 line weights?

125 yards of backing? Wow. I see you do have an incredible amount of backing on these reels. Backing is a bit expensive. I keep buying 250 yards at a time. I used a whole roll of that yesterday, and never even filled one reel up with it...so one of the holes in the spool is completely showing. I bet there is 185 yards of backing on one reel I loaded. Incredible. No way I need that much backing around here. Backing is string, strong string...I guess they only have us because it is for FLY fishing. There is no store here that carries it. I have to send off for it, and that is close to 20 bucks for 250 yards of it. Your reels look really nice though. Excellent collection.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
125 yards of backing? Wow. I see you do have an incredible amount of backing on these reels. Backing is a bit expensive. I keep buying 250 yards at a time. I used a whole roll of that yesterday, and never even filled one reel up with it...so one of the holes in the spool is completely showing. I bet there is 185 yards of backing on one reel I loaded. Incredible. No way I need that much backing around here. Backing is string, strong string...I guess they only have us because it is for FLY fishing. There is no store here that carries it. I have to send off for it, and that is close to 20 bucks for 250 yards of it. Your reels look really nice though. Excellent collection.
you could always get 40# PowerPro or Spiderwire.. It's basically the exact same thing as gelspun.. and cheaper yard for yard
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
you could always get 40# PowerPro or Spiderwire.. It's basically the exact same thing as gelspun.. and cheaper yard for yard
The line used for flying kites is braided dacron the same as backing. It comes in 20 and 30# test and it's cheaper too.
For my reels where I'm just filling space and know that having yards of backing would be a waste, I use 40# tip-up (icefishing) line
Trolling line, bow-fishing line... there's plenty of alternatives that are not "official" backing
kelkay likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have thought of that, but don't want the line to tear up my reel, or my hand. Braid will cut you. I have heard of some who use it though. Thanks for your thoughts.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Line for kites huh? I have never heard of that. I will look into that. Thanks.

Well, you were right. I found 1000 yards of white 30 pound braided dacron for 15 dollars. I usually use 20 pound, but for that price, the 30 pound will definitely work for me. Six bucks to ship. That's what I'M TALKING ABOUT........... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The line used for flying kites is braided dacron the same as backing. It comes in 20 and 30# test and it's cheaper too.
For my reels where I'm just filling space and know that having yards of backing would be a waste, I use 40# tip-up (icefishing) line
Trolling line, bow-fishing line... there's plenty of alternatives that are not "official" backing
itchmesir likes this.

Last edited by kelkay; 11-30-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Awesome deal..

Just throwing this out there... How often are you planning on seeing your backing? In all honesty.. It's filler to me unless I'm chasing carp.. otherwise i've never been taken into my backing by any other freshwater species
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Well, usually I target bass. That may go into the backing. Yes, backing is mostly filler, as you suggested. Without it though, and most lines don't look right, with too many holes showing through the reel. I like to go up to the top hole, or fill in that hole. Sometimes like yesterday, I run out of dacron backing. Reels look better with backing. That Daiwa F240 too had a huge amount of backing. I still could of put a little more on, to get to the top hole, but it would of been a waste. No way will I use that much backing. If I do, it is a monster fish. I have it loaded with 8wt line. Then I loaded my Beaulite. The Beaulite is a newer edition. Still, I did not have enough backing. That was 250 yards of backing, for two reels. (remember one didn't get quite enough backing either) My local friend said, it is just string. I know. Strong string. So I am so glad that I mentioned it. Now I have a much less costly method of adding string to my reel...lol. If it says fly fishing anywhere on it, expect to pay 50-80% more for something. That is my firm belief.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM

mtnwkr will become famous soon enoughmtnwkr will become famous soon enough

Just load up with anything, mono, twine, a peice of cork, etc. then attatch your 50yrds of backing over that.
kelkay likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM

I have cork handles. I could cut them, and place them around the arbor. But they are hollow. I'd have to put something under that. Mono can give in the heat, after some time. I have had to restring my conventional reels too often. I keep them in the house, where there is air, in the summer. I used to keep my stuff out in the garage. Big mistake. Mono will break easily once it has been hot for a certain amount of time. (don't ask me how I know...lol)

It just came in! That thing is tiny! Wow, very cute though. I am putting Boeshield on it now. Then I am gonna rig it up.

Well, I took the spool off, and when I did the two white pads came out, and a shim. I had the reel turned sideways, and they fell out, not sure how they originally fit in there. I thought it fit in where the lid locks in. But it was too high. So I kept one pad there, with the shim, and then the cover screw. The other pad I put on the bottom of the spindle. It doesn't sound quite right, so I know I messed that up somehow. It is quieter than it was. I pieced together some dacron backing, and it all worked out alright. I tried to find a schematic, or papers, but was not successful. So if someone can tell me about that, I'd appreciate it. I will take a pic of the reel tomorrow probably. I am having some computer problems now, with the plug in receptacle on the laptop. Some screw fell out, and that didn't help. Anyway, they want 150 dollars to put a new one in, and that is ridiculous. Oh, while I'm thinking about it, the reel is not too loud for me at all. :-)

Last edited by kelkay; 11-30-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Well here it is. All rigged up. Can someone tell me about those felt washer/pads?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Yes, I have one of Joni's awesome leaders on that reel. :-)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM

I took the reel out this afternoon. It did just fine. The only thing was, the reel foot tried to stick into my reel seat, when I was taking if off the rod. It performed well though. It definitely is not too loud for me at all.