The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Martin 61 line weights?

I am going to have a new Martin 61 coming soon. I think it is probably a 5-7 weight, but I am not sure. Does anyone on here know? This is my first tuna can reel. It was very reasonably priced. I couldn't pass it up. I am afraid I have become a reel addict. Oh, and this is also my first Martin fly reel.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Martin 61 line weights?

I had myself one of them.. drove me nuts.. so loud.. but i would say it's gonna hold a maximum of 5wt line.. you wanna have a nice supply of backing on these reels or your line.. no matter how supple.. will coil from how tight it winds your line.. as it just winds onto whats maybe a 1/2" thick spool
kelkay likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I do have a WF4I line. It is my last new line. If this is a maximum of 5 wt, that is surprising. Thank you for your thoughts. I like loud reels. I like the noise when it reels in, and when drag is pulled out. I have not found one yet too loud for me. I do have a Daiwa 731A, it is a nice reel for normal use...but not sound when drag is pulled. I hate that. I will see what a consensus here says too. I saw one reel photo, and it said DT6, so that is why I thought 5-7 wt... I have never seen one in person though. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer on this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, i'm pretty sure the 61 is 4/5 weight reel.

casey
kelkay likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Well that is fine if it is. I have a 4/5 wt rod, and I can use it on that. It is graphite, but I bet it won't be too heavy for it. Only one way to find out.
caseywise likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi kelly,

I saw your message about this reel but had no answer because I did not know the diameter of the #61. Almost all the tuna can reels are light weight light line reels. If you want larger reels in the Martin reels you'll have to look to the MG-7 or MG-75, both of these will hold a DT 6 and plenty of back line. Sorry for not getting back sooner,

Ard
kelkay likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Well I do have a WF4I line. It is my last new line. If this is a maximum of 5 wt, that is surprising. Thank you for your thoughts. I like loud reels. I like the noise when it reels in, and when drag is pulled out. I have not found one yet too loud for me. I do have a Daiwa 731A, it is a nice reel for normal use...but not sound when drag is pulled. I hate that. I will see what a consensus here says too. I saw one reel photo, and it said DT6, so that is why I thought 5-7 wt... I have never seen one in person though. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer on this.
oh yeah.. mine made plenty of noise when i tied into a couple 30"+ pike earlier this year before I sold the rod it was attached to.. which sounds fine.. makes the fight sound that much more epic.. but beyond that.. no thank you
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks Ard.

Well, some like the sound, some don't. I haven't heard the sound yet. So I cannot comment. There can be sweet sounds, just plain MUSIC, or just horrible grating type noise. So far I have been happy with all my reels on sound. Like I said, I want a reel to have sound on the drag too, and some of my reels DON'T have that, and that is the main drawback for me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Martin 61 has no drag
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM

mtnwkr will become famous soon enoughmtnwkr will become famous soon enough

Ok, Look 'reel' close.
Click the image to open in full size.
This is a martin model 61, still in the package(and should be on my doorstep tomorrow!). In case you cant read the package, it says its for 6,7,8 wt fly line. I have several of these reels and I think they are perfect for 3-5wts. They are easy to modify if you don't like the loud sound. They are very light, 3.25oz. and 3" in diameter. Great value, paid $13 shipped for that NIB one.
Loaded up with backing and a wf5f and it's pretty much a large arbor. No worries about line coils. These are few of mine, the top reel has a 5wt, bottom a 4wt line. probably 125' of backing.

Here's a picture showing them on my 3wt Redington CT's (on the right).