The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Info on old Orvis reels?

Hi,

I am curious where one goes to find information on old Orvis equipment, particularly reels. Every which way I search I always end up at a current page on the Orvis site on a current product.

I want to know the sizing of the old Hardy-made CFO click and pawl reels.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on old Orvis reels?

I found quite a bit on the CFO reels on another forum
I'll PM you the link.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

The Rusty Spinner
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great LInk! Thanks for that Kayo.

fae
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I found quite a bit on the CFO reels on another forum
I'll PM you the link.
Thanks Rip Tide, they only let the registered in there! Maybe I will just for info.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Thanks Kayo, that will give me some reading tonight!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

A cautionary note; Orvis and Hardy back in the day where both "guilty" of dramatically over estimating the size line suitable for their reels. They seemed to not take balance and backing capacity into consideration. Consequently, CFO's and Lightweight Series reels where often best stepped up one size over the "recommended" capacity. Therefore, for a 5-weight for example, a CFO IV usually was (is) a better match then a CFO III.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
A cautionary note; Orvis and Hardy back in the day where both "guilty" of dramatically over estimating the size line suitable for their reels. They seemed to not take balance and backing capacity into consideration. Consequently, CFO's and Lightweight Series reels where often best stepped up one size over the "recommended" capacity. Therefore, for a 5-weight for example, a CFO IV usually was (is) a better match then a CFO III.
So a first generation CFO II (circa '71-77 as I've best determined from the great link Kayo shared) would be a pretty dainty line holder?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

By my lights, CFO II maxes out with a 3-weight and and a short one at that. Dainty indeed. I have a 6 1/2'/#4 hanging on my wall; more as a "decoration" than anything else as I rarely fish such a petite rig, and it is balanced with a CFO III. On an 8 - 9' #4, I would go with a CFO IV. On a 9'/#6 TFO BVK, a relatively light rod in its class, I have a Hardy MLA 350 rated for #8 line to balance it correctly.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
By my lights, CFO II maxes out with a 3-weight and and a short one at that. Dainty indeed. I have a 6 1/2'/#4 hanging on my wall; more as a "decoration" than anything else as I rarely fish such a petite rig, and it is balanced with a CFO III. On an 8 - 9' #4, I would go with a CFO IV. On a 9'/#6 TFO BVK, a relatively light rod in its class, I have a Hardy MLA 350 rated for #8 line to balance it correctly.
I have an 8' 2wt that I rarely fish but once in awhile I get the urge to buy a nice little reel for it. I own one of the English Battenkill click and pawls in 3/4 and have used it for 15 years. Cleaned it out really good once. They are just great little tools and I wouldn't mind having a few more in other sizes.

On a side note: I recently read what seemed like a very practical way to maximize the length of material on the smallest reel possible. I believe it came from Mariano who did not believe in "balancing" a rod with a reel, rather using the lightest reel practical to enhance casting distance. Granted this was probably in the late 60's/early 70's before all the space-age rod technology, but I digress. Cast your rod as far as you can and then cut-off any line still on the reel and load up the rest with backing.

Why have extra line if you will never need it to cast? And further lighten up the reel by replacing line with backing. Again, this was with glass rods and stream fishing when I assume (I've never cast old glass) average fishermen did not cast 75' of line. And on my little 2wt, or any very light small stream rod, there is never a need for more than 50' of line, and rarely any use for 40' of line.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Well, it sounds to me, Dean, that you have more than ample reason to obtain the little CFO II. Not that much excuse is needed but you do have your 2-weight outfit and late 70's beginning of the 80's is primo CFO vintage. Many anglers who fancy small reels cut some running line off the rear of their lines to accommodate more backing. There is no weight saving to this as tightly wound backing is denser than fly line.

Rod/reel balance may be a personal thing and I have played the game of laying the reel on the grass with line stripped off and casting with no reel on the rod...but I am not always casting. Often I find myself in Blue Heron pose; rod cradled in my arm waiting for Mr. Brown to show his snout again or walking to the next bend and a balanced outfit is just a comfortable, indeed delightful thing. And I have never been seduced by tiny reels anyway.
dean_mt likes this.