The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Best reel for Winston 8' 4wt tmf ?

Then there's that brand new Hardy Princess that Fred may sell.................... That would make a fine reel also. I don't care for little tiny & weightless reels on a fly rod over 6.5 feet. The Princess would be a very good match to an * foot rod I think. I know its a 4 weight but .......... The bigger the reel the prettier they are
caseywise and leithel like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the new lamson speedster is a game changer as is the hardy UL series.
i think either one would be a fine choice

Lamson Speedster « The Waterworks Lamson

Hardy Fly - Products - Reels - Performance Reels - Ultralite Click Check

hope this helps

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM
sbreech

I would select one of these reels:

1.) Nautilus FWX 3/4

2.) Abel TR 2

3.) Abel Creek 1
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Another option, if you would like a disk drag, is the Bauer MXP. Its drag is probably overkill, but it's awesome.

Last edited by biggie_robs; 12-09-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I am going to guess that owning that Winston was a sort of benchmark for you and if this is true I would put the very nicest reel on it I could, while figuring to own the pair until I passed on. What do I mean "the very nicest" reel? I'm thinking one of the rare Winston Perfects' in 3 1/8" finished in Winston Green and made by those guys at Hardy back in the 80's and 90's. These come for sale on the e Bay and I have seen them go as low as 500 dollars before! There are also the Baby Bougle 3" reels from Hardy in the Champagne Spitfire kinda finish, these are outstanding reels also. A St. George 3" in your choice of left or right winding would do real well with a Winston rod as well.

I'll leave that as my three suggestions, no I don't work for Hardy. Those Bougles are selling around 500 new and better in mint used shape. They are a piece of engineering to say the least.

If you buy the same reel as everyone else what will make your rod a special thing........

Ard
Oh, well then. If you want to follow that philosophy you might also check out Willow reels. I saw them at a show and they are jewels.

Willow Classic Reels

Or buy a Saracione directly from Tom Morgan himself.

Tom Morgan Troutrods - Saracione Reels
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

I thank everyone for their responses. I sort of understand the Abel creek, but is there any adjustment you can make with your fingers? I like the reel looking on the internet, but no place near me I can look at one. Any info. would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45srbest View Post
I thank everyone for their responses. I sort of understand the Abel creek, but is there any adjustment you can make with your fingers? I like the reel looking on the internet, but no place near me I can look at one. Any info. would be appreciated.
You can make the adjustment with your fingers but you have to remove the spool to do it. Inside there are two cams that turn to adjust the amount of tension on the spring. One for outgoing and one for incoming. No external adjustment.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Whichever reel you chose, I suggest one you will be satisfied with keeping if you ever decide to sell the rod. Best of luck.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

The way one fishes a delicate 8'/#4 like the TMF, lovely small stream environments, suggests that powerful disc-drag reels are superfluous. Whether old like early CFO or other Hardy reels like LRH or new like the click Abels, the reel should balance the rod nicely in weight and aesthetics. This is an outfit designed for charm rather than high performance and, as much as I so often recommend reels (that would work in this case too) like Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD (I am still tentative on Speedster having yet to examin it), I personally fish a CFO on my little 8'/#4. I don't recall asking back when that rod was introduced if T. Morgan himself used one of those now collectible green Perfects or not but, Like HR said, it would be very cool.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've been very happy with the English made Orvis CFO on my TMF.

Click the image to open in full size.

If not that, a Hardy Featherweight would be a great match up and far easier to find no doubt. Probably less worry on your pocketbook too.
jaybo41 and shimloom like this.