The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road
Default Best reel for Winston 8' 4wt tmf ?

Need help with suggestions. Not a very popular rod it seems, but I like it. Need to search out a well balanced reel for it and would appreciate ideas. Thanks in advance folks!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best reel for Winston 8' 4wt tmf ?

What is your budget? The new Lamson Konics look pretty nice. I am a huge Ross reel fan, love my evolutions.

Be cautious of ultra light reels like the click or purist. I have both but unless they are on a super light rod like a TXL or Circa they feel awkward ....too light
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations again on your new rod purchase. I just replied to your post in the fly rod forum. I too have been reel shopping lately. I'm very fortunate to have access to quite a few different reels. Lately I have really been into the click pawl reels. I just received an Abel TR2 in the mail that is quite nice. I'm not sure the clicker reels are for everyone though. I have several Lamson reels with the sweetest smoothest drag and as the previous poster said the Lamson Konic can be had for a very reasonable price right now. I have a Konic 1.5 on an Echo Carbon 8' 4wt for a truck rod that is just unbeatable. The ideal situation would be to take the rod to a few fly shops and try some reels on it, keeping in mind that spooled up with line out the tip will make the balance a little different. Not sure that is possible for many people though. Good luck again on your reel search.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your ideas. The budget is probably about $300 for the reel and line. The place I ordered my rod from included SA VPT line with it, but I am always open to a better way. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

The TMF is my favorite rod. I use an Abel Creek on it. It's the only click and pawl reel I have but I find it perfect for that rod and the the type of fishing I do with it. I have used both a Rio Selective Trout II DT4 and a Wulff Triangle Taper on it. Both work well but I would give the edge to a DT4. Good luck and have fun with the rod!
lstuemke likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
The TMF is my favorite rod. I use an Abel Creek on it. It's the only click and pawl reel I have but I find it perfect for that rod and the the type of fishing I do with it. I have used both a Rio Selective Trout II DT4 and a Wulff Triangle Taper on it. Both work well but I would give the edge to a DT4. Good luck and have fun with the rod!
That sounds like one nice setup you've got Cletus. An Abel Creek is a great suggestion and one I didn't think of. I posted in the OP's other thread over in the Rod section that my vote would be for a Hardy Lightweight Series or CFO with DT line. Any of those three reels would be great pairing with this rod.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I just got a TMF too and was mulling the same question. I think a Hardy Featherweight, Orvis CFO 123 or CFO III (old English-made model), or Red Truck Diesel 3/4 would all be handsome matches. I already have a couple of those so it's just a matter of finding the right line. If I didn't already have other reels and wanted to save a few bucks, I'd be tempted to try the LL Bean Pocket Water, which has nice classic styling for only $79.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

There are couple of reels around that price range that I would consider, first of all, the ross evolution is always a great choice. Another, is a Waterworks-Lamson Lightspeed which is an incredible reel. Another incredible reel is the Nautilus FWX. Check them out... They all have fantastic drag systems on them.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi & Welcome to the forum,

How soon will you begin using the rod? I don't see your location in your posting stats (a really nice touch so we know where you are) but if you are entering winter I would save my money and go for the big enchilada.

Yeah right, save money.............. it can be done by a determined person I am going to guess that owning that Winston was a sort of benchmark for you and if this is true I would put the very nicest reel on it I could, while figuring to own the pair until I passed on. What do I mean "the very nicest" reel? I'm thinking one of the rare Winston Perfects' in 3 1/8" finished in Winston Green and made by those guys at Hardy back in the 80's and 90's. These come for sale on the e Bay and I have seen them go as low as 500 dollars before! There are also the Baby Bougle 3" reels from Hardy in the Champagne Spitfire kinda finish, these are outstanding reels also. A St. George 3" in your choice of left or right winding would do real well with a Winston rod as well.

I'll leave that as my three suggestions, no I don't work for Hardy. Those Bougles are selling around 500 new and better in mint used shape. They are a piece of engineering to say the least.

If you buy the same reel as everyone else what will make your rod a special thing........

Just Say'en,

Ard
mrfzx, jaybo41, rockriver and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Ard,
I like the way you think!
Fred