The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By wannafish
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 4 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hardy LRH springs

I am new to click and pawl reels, but have really been enjoying fishing and collecting them over the past year. I have a pre loved, vintage LRH acquired last year that seems to be working its way toward my go to spring creek reel. There's something special about it--the history of the company, simplicity of the design, patina of the reel and knowing that at least one other angler fished it for years before me that just strikes me as, well, very cool. I had a couple of experiences last year where the line seemed to spool on me a bit. This happened when I had line out on the water and was either going for a quick hook set. It wasn't bad and it didn't cost me a fish but it seemed to be different than my experience with my other click and pawl. Admittedly, I didn't have the screw tightened down on it--at all.

For perspective, I have also been fishing a St. John on my switch rod for larger fish and have not had an issue with spooled line and un-tightened screw when put in the same circumstance as mentioned above.

I guess my questions are twofold: How do I know if I should replace the springs? Assuming that I do need to replace them, what is the best source to get the new springs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hardy LRH springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I am new to click and pawl reels, but have really been enjoying fishing and collecting them over the past year. I have a pre loved, vintage LRH acquired last year that seems to be working its way toward my go to spring creek reel. There's something special about it--the history of the company, simplicity of the design, patina of the reel and knowing that at least one other angler fished it for years before me that just strikes me as, well, very cool. I had a couple of experiences last year where the line seemed to spool on me a bit. This happened when I had line out on the water and was either going for a quick hook set. It wasn't bad and it didn't cost me a fish but it seemed to be different than my experience with my other click and pawl. Admittedly, I didn't have the screw tightened down on it--at all.

For perspective, I have also been fishing a St. John on my switch rod for larger fish and have not had an issue with spooled line and un-tightened screw when put in the same circumstance as mentioned above.

I guess my questions are twofold: How do I know if I should replace the springs? Assuming that I do need to replace them, what is the best source to get the new springs?

Thanks in advance.
Try burk48237; he's a Hardy-Greys rep on this forum who might be able to help.

I got springs for my Marquis through Ken Hogdon who is also a North American Hardy Greys rep. You can email him at;
khogden@hardygreys.com

But if your tension wasn't set your springs are probably ok. If you feel significantly more resistance pulling line off the reel with the screw tightened down I wouldn't bother with new springs.

My St. John is fishable with no tension set as well but they are a more rugged spring to begin with I think.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jason,

Before you order new springs (although a back up isn't a bad idea) you can carefully remove them. Carefully is the key operative word here, now gently, (another important word) spread the springs a little. Now replace them and leave the tension out until you fish, then turn the little adjuster in about 1/3 on, you'll get the feel of what equals 1/3. For spring creek trout that should work fine although you may want a bit more tension for a given creek and its fish.

I've heard all sorts of remedies for the springs ranging from baking them in the oven after spreading to outright replacement but I have kept all of my lightweights strong in the way I describe. If there is no noticeable difference between full on and off after you have tried this simple adjustment then they are done for. Honestly I've seen more rounded pawls than I have defunct springs. I will e-mail a direct address for the PA. sales rep via PM.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys and the PM Ard. I will give that 1/3 method a shot, that's good advice. When I am done fishing them, I am meticulous about turning them to ensure no tension is on the springs once I wrap up for the day. They do seem to provide tension but I guess I'm just not sure how much to expect with them. The pawls and gear teeth are still in good shape.

When I fished it this past spring, I didn't give it much consideration because the reality is I never felt under gunned with it. It was after fishing the St. John, which seems to be set perfectly, even with no tension applied. I guess that's where my line of questioning comes into play.

Wanna--thanks for your post on the St. John. It sounds like your experience with that reel echoes mine.

Appreciate the posts.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM

I thought I'd post an update in case anyone else runs into a similar scenario.

So I got in touch with Hardy, went the route of Warranty/Repair and was able to order an A Pack. I too worked with Ken. The A Pack comes with 2 new springs and 2 new pawls, cost is $15 + shipping. The folks at Hardy took great care of me through correspondence and shipping. For such a small, nearly meaningless revenue items, it is wonderful to see excellent customer service. In my experiences, this sort of things speaks volumes about a company.

Anyway, I popped the old springs off and compared them to the new ones. WOW did I ever need them. They were compressed to maybe half of what the new springs are. Somewhere along the line, a previous owner must have never backed off the tension. I have yet to test it by means of fishing, but I believe to have noticed a difference just by pulling out some line. I'm already looking forward to putting this to use with the new guts. I absolutely love this reel.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone else runs into a similar scenario.

So I got in touch with Hardy, went the route of Warranty/Repair and was able to order an A Pack. I too worked with Ken. The A Pack comes with 2 new springs and 2 new pawls, cost is $15 + shipping. The folks at Hardy took great care of me through correspondence and shipping. For such a small, nearly meaningless revenue items, it is wonderful to see excellent customer service. In my experiences, this sort of things speaks volumes about a company.

Anyway, I popped the old springs off and compared them to the new ones. WOW did I ever need them. They were compressed to maybe half of what the new springs are. Somewhere along the line, a previous owner must have never backed off the tension. I have yet to test it by means of fishing, but I believe to have noticed a difference just by pulling out some line. I'm already looking forward to putting this to use with the new guts. I absolutely love this reel.
Nice, mate It felt to me like it needed a little tension