The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is the pflueger Medalist reel a dead friend?

There's so many of them out there getting one won't be hard for the next 50 years. Even the USA ones aren't too hard to come by. Now a Thompson, that's a hard USA reel to track down.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought a Medalist 1492DA in almost new condition ...cheap !
It's a 3wt sized reel and I don't even own a 3wt rod

I guess I'll just be adding it to the collection

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Okuma makes some great reels and you can usually find them pretty cheap on the bay.. I'm a fan of the SLVs
I was just purusing the "Sportsman's Guide" and saw the Okuma Sierra listed at $32.99.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I was extremely sad to see the passing of the Medalist. It's hard to imagine very few other products that one could use on a regular basis for fifty years, and still be worth as much, if not more than it originally cost.

It would be staggering to try to imagine the numbers (and sizes) of fish that have been caught on a Medalist. When I started fly fishing back in the stone age, it was the reel that most of us used to get started.

I love the way they look

Click the image to open in full size.

I was none to happy to read the other day that the House of Hardy/Greys was looking for a buyer.
kelkay likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I was none to happy to read the other day that the House of Hardy/Greys was looking for a buyer.
If the financials I saw a short time back have any reality to them, they'll stay for sale for quite some time.

Fred
Old 01-15-2014, 04:39 PM

will09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Unfortunately the Medalist was an import for the past few decades, anyway.
The ones I own with the AK on them are still good reels, but not made in the USA.

I also own an Okuma Sierra and it seems to be a very good reel for the price!
It seems to be very close in quality to my Ross Flycast reel (which I believe is also an import).
I don't think it was as early as 79 that Pflueger made the reels off shore . I had new ones from 1980 that were still USA . I have an AK 1494 doesn't say anything on the reel foot but the CJ does say Japan . The AK is a bit better in build yet the CJ works just as well. Although I can tell the CJ has a different casting for the main frame .
Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
I believe the Sierra is a cast aluminum reel with a really good drag system. They retail for around $45.
It has a brake-pad drag very similar to the design of the late lamented System 2L. Only problem is that, as with the 2L, the brake pad is is exposed (inside the frame) and could get damaged if sand or grit gets in it, or it could slip if lube gets in it. But if you keep the brake mechanism clean it is otherwise very sturdy and a good value for the $, especially if you find one on sale.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

!979 was the year that the production of the Medalists reels moved "off-shore"
The "CJ" reels were made in Japan and the "AK" are from Hong Kong or China
The last of the US made reels have a DA after the model number

Quote:
I don't think it was as early as 79 that Pflueger made the reels off shore . I had new ones from 1980 that were still USA . I have an AK 1494 doesn't say anything on the reel foot but the CJ does say Japan . The AK is a bit better in build yet the CJ works just as well. Although I can tell the CJ has a different casting for the main frame .
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I for one would love to see Pflueger come back to Akron, hell I'd even fill out an application (part time ofcourse). Hands down from the Hawkeyes' and Golden Wests' to every model Medalist you can't beat them. Sure other reels have superior drags and look like gangsta rims all "blinged" out but for the price and function Pflueger's are #1 in my book.
But could the US still manufacture and sell a reel for under $100? That's the reel question.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM

will09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
But could the US still manufacture and sell a reel for under $100? That's the reel question.
I sort of doubt it now days. Older reels like the medalist could be made for under $100 if anyone wanted to find the dies and setup a company to build them yet now days since all the high tech reels are out and advertizing make them look desirable which it has been said that's the reason the old medalist left the market.
For what a medalist cost through the decades I find it difficult to believe anyone beginning flyfishing would turn away from a medalist .

It's all marketing ploys to bring in the new and out with the old . And of course now that we are in this global economy of competiton due to wages we can't compete with little to be found made in the US.

I suppose since I am old and saw this happening I don't like it.

I would spend $80 for a medalist rather than the new imported bling .