The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about
Default Is the pflueger Medalist reel a dead friend?

I just went to the Pflueger website and looked up their fly reels. The Medalist models are no longer displayed. Have they quit making them. Orvis has discontinued the Battenkill Disc and I don't think I could stand losing another American standard bearer fly reel.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is the pflueger Medalist reel a dead friend?

I am sorry to tell you, but the Medalists are no longer made. It is a shame. There are plenty on Ebay though, if you want one.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Maybe the Okuma Sierra is going to take over the reins of the rugged, reliable & less that $100 reel.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I haven't tried a Sierra. I do have an Okuma Integrity, and I like it very much.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM

I believe the Sierra is a cast aluminum reel with a really good drag system. They retail for around $45.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I love my sierra. It has a smooth drag and can take a beating.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Unfortunately the Medalist was an import for the past few decades, anyway.
The ones I own with the AK on them are still good reels, but not made in the USA.

Quote:
Production moved overseas to China, Japan and Hong Kong, Shakespeare Medalists had the reel foot assembly crimped and the contours of the foot were coarser and less refined. The letters CJ (Japan) and AK (Hong Kong, China) appeared after the model numbers. The reel foot had the words Japan, China or Hong Kong inscribed in it. The words "Pflueger Medalist" and/or "Shakespeare" appeared on the spool latch cover.
I also own an Okuma Sierra and it seems to be a very good reel for the price!
It seems to be very close in quality to my Ross Flycast reel (which I believe is also an import).
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Okuma makes some great reels and you can usually find them pretty cheap on the bay.. I'm a fan of the SLVs
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Medalist is still alive and well on the used market. I have probably 12+ in both Pfleuger and Orvis Madison. I love the "clickety-clackety" of them. Classic look,

Truth be told there is a myriad of new (almost all imported from far far way) that are superior reels.

Ross low end "Fly Start" are a fine example of quality at a fair price. SA & Cortland both have decnet reels below $100.

But if you want a "made in USA" bit noisy reel, surf Ebay as 1492-1498's are on sale every day.

Pete A.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I for one would love to see Pflueger come back to Akron, hell I'd even fill out an application (part time ofcourse). Hands down from the Hawkeyes' and Golden Wests' to every model Medalist you can't beat them. Sure other reels have superior drags and look like gangsta rims all "blinged" out but for the price and function Pflueger's are #1 in my book.