The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By dillon
  • 2 Post By sbreech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM

jpwv12 is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need an extra spool

Was thinking about buying an extra spool for my torque. One for floating line and one for sinking tip. Do you guys actually use multiple spools? I have a good deal on a Galvan Torque T4 for $100 new. Would you guys suggest buying an extra spool or just sticking with the reel?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need an extra spool

Extra spools can be handy. If you like to switch between floating and sinking line while out on the water, carrying an extra spool rather than an extra reel takes up less space and weighs less (also costs less).
fredaevans and shotgunfly like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Yes on the spool. If you drop it, the spool usually is the first casualty.
Getting new spools later is often not possible.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like having the extra reel. It's insurance in case anything happen to reel "A" and it's just as easy to change out, maybe ever easier.
That said, sometime the price dictates the extra spool's advantage.

Once I saw a bargain on-line close-out sale for spools matching of my reels so I ordered one.
Not only did they send me two spools instead of one, but only charged me 2/3 the listed asking price.
They must have really wanted to get rid of them
imxer likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on an extra spool.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv12 View Post
Thanks. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on an extra spool.
Excellent choice. I doubt that you will regret making it.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Extra spools are nice insurance.. drop the reel.. crack the spool.. no need to sit and wait for a new one.. and unless you want to drop $150 on a VersiTip or similar line systems.. I see it being the next best option for making your rod versatile
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

If the reel was only $100, I would buy 2 reels instead of 1 and an extra spool. Then I would have an excuse to buy another rod too.
sbreech likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
sbreech

Another thing to consider is that a reel might be good for more than one size... Say you have a 3wt and a 4wt rod. 1 Nautilus FWx 3/4 will cost around $250. 2 will cost you $500. OR, 1 reel and a spare spool will only cost $300-$325 and will serve for both rods (unless you're sharing your equipment with friends).
itchmesir and shotgunfly like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
If the reel was only $100, I would buy 2 reels instead of 1 and an extra spool. Then I would have an excuse to buy another rod too.
Torque's are about $350 so that option is definitely out.