The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM

trouter82 is on a distinguished road
Default 5wt Trout Reel

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice on a new trout reel. I seriously need to upgrade mine.

It'll be matched with a Greys XF2 Streamflex 9' 5wt. I definitely want domething with a drag system (no click/pawl), preferrably sealed. I've been looking at reels in the 200-300$ range but I'm not quite sure how much I'd like to spend yet.

Some of the reels I've been considering are the new Hardy Ultralite DD, Lamson Guru or Velocity, Ross Evolution LT, Redington Rise, and the Orvis Hydros (which is particularly appealing right now because it's on sale)

Any info and advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM
sbreech

Default Re: 5wt Trout Reel

Since you got the Grey's, I'd say a Hardy would "match" it, but for me, on this weight of rod, going for a sealed drag, there would only be one choice - Nautilus FWX 5/6. $275 on the 'bay, free shipping.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

In my opinion and experience, everything you have named is just fine for most freshwater use. I usually look at bearings, drag and arbor, but of course aesthetics play a small part. If you want the reel that is on sale then buy it, should work for years to come.
shotgunfly likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Can't go wrong with Lamson or Ross

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

A lot of these reels are more reel than you need, and more than you need to spend, for that kind of fishing and that rod. Right now at flyshopcloseouts.com you can get a Lamson Konic 1.5 for $90 or a Konic 2.0 for $97 that will do the job just fine, and they come with the same Lamson drag as the better Lamson models.
Kerry Pitt likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM

trouter82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys.

Moucheur2003 - I've considered the Konic for a while, but decided to go with a higher priced reel because I put mine through a lot of abuse and feel that some of the other reels will hold up better.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm becoming a broken record recommending the Ultralite DD but I've never been quite as pleased with a reel purchase as I've been with this reel. Sweetandsalt recommended it to me and he has some interesting insights into the finer points of it's design. I found mine (4000) for under $200.00; it's truly a fine piece of craftmanship that's certainly not overpriced IMO.
leithel likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I am a Hardy fan so the DD is the first answer from me, but I also have the Redington Rise and it is a great reel also.

I just like Hardy for their quality and growing up my grandfather always had Hardy so I guess I am bias haha
wannafish likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I like Ross reels, IMHO they use plastic where it needs to be used to reduce corrosion potential.

Look at the Evolutions used on Ebay and on line fly shop used posts. The #3 Evolution (not LT) below is mounted on my 5wt TFO, got it for $150 used at a fly shop. Drag is superbe.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
wannafish likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I like Ross reels, IMHO they use plastic where it needs to be used to reduce corrosion potential.

Look at the Evolutions used on Ebay and on line fly shop used posts. The #3 Evolution (not LT) below is mounted on my 5wt TFO, got it for $150 used at a fly shop. Drag is superbe.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
This reel is a serious workhorse, I use a #2 on my 5-wt and a #3 for my freshwater 6-7.

Love Lamson, too, and those Hardys look awesome, I gotta admit... But the original Evolution (which weighs LESS that the LT, btw, which I've heard some people mistakenly call the "Evo Light") is my favorite reel. I'll have them forever, and I'll bet they hold up!

I really like the way they look, and I love the way they sound.