The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
sbreech

Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Yeah, the Bauer Rogue is also a very nice reel, as is the Galven Torque. To be honest, when you're talking top-notch reels like the Galven, Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, and Bauer, it all comes down to :

1.) Weight. Does it balance the rod well?
2.) Aesthetics. Do YOU like the way it looks?
3.) Cost. What is your budget?
4.) Line Capacity. Do you need more backing for the fishing you're doing?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Plus one for the Nautilus FWX.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
My first pick for a 5wt would be an bel Super 5N, second would be a Hatch Monsoon 4+. I am actually in the market for a new 5wt reel for a rod I am putting together and the four reels on my shopping list are the Super 5N, Monsoon 4+, Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the Galvan T5. To be honest I would be happy with any of them, my choice will most likely be decided on which one I can find for the best deal.

+1 for the Abel Super 5N. Both my wife and I have them on our 5 wt. rods and they're very nice reels to fish with; smooth cork drag with good, easy to feel, linear tension. I'm not sure how the weight will match up with the One blank in a 5 wt. though.

Ideally, if your wife is generous enough to give you a new rod and reel for Christmas, take the rod under the tree and take the money to go find the reel that best matches the rod for you. Weight is important if you plan to fish long days, because an unbalanced rod gets hand-heavy a lot sooner then a well balanced set up.

If you want to be precise, then don't forget to factor in the weight of the line. I balance my rods with the reel lined out with the line tip just through the tip top.

Pocono
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish the Nautilus FWX 5/6 (black) mounted with RIO Gold on my beloved ONE #5. I have complete confidence that the great Hatch 4+ and Abel Super 5N would be equally excellent mates though I have not checked them out for balance. ONE's are quite light weight and sensitive to reel weight. I would like the Sage reel in bronze matching the ONE's reel seat color or Hardy Ultralite DD in black too but they are both made in Korea...I have no big issue with this (it's not like they are Chinese-made) but you said you wanted US-made which many of us will say "OK, fine" to and my reel is US-made and the other two are made in CA which is right next door to the US (just kidding!).
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

If its over 100$ its not worth it....
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
If its over 100$ its not worth it....
Not true. That depends on very many things like your budget, what you plan to use it for, if it is an investment, do you plan on dieing with the most money and more.
I've paid more and less than $100.00 for a reel.
Ask me if I'm happy.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Not true. That depends on very many things like your budget, what you plan to use it for, if it is an investment, do you plan on dieing with the most money and more.
Ask me if I'm happy.
Oh so very very true. I recently paid $500 for a reel and felt like a bandit when I did it. It's going on my 17' 11 wt. and there is NO reel for under a $100 that will work. Then there are things to consider like the drag, durability, weight and more. There are times when maybe a cheap reel withh get you by, but most of the time to be safe for that you had better be casting at imaginary fish in the grass. Not to say every cheap reel is a waste of money, but there are a bunch of them that are just a place holder till you NEED to replace it.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Ask me if I'm happy.
In my mind that extra money is essentially for the name of the brand which is great if you just want a shiny orvis but im willing to bet that for most people a reddington setup will work just as well as the more expensive brands. Besides save the money for some adult beverages to share the stories after a day of fishing
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

A cheap reel may work fine...on a cheap rod. The gentleman did not buy a Sage ONE to screw a piece of Chinese junk on its butt. The difference, even when it not about performance (a Hardy LRH has no performance advantage over many >$100 reels) aesthetics are very important and rarely inexpensive. And the fine reel, even after many a beverage bottle is empty and recycled, will continue to be a tackle item to behold.
imxer, mrfzx and jaybo41 like this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 12-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
A cheap reel may work fine...on a cheap rod. The gentleman did not buy a Sage ONE to screw a piece of Chinese junk on its butt. The difference, even when it not about performance (a Hardy LRH has no performance advantage over many >$100 reels) aesthetics are very important and rarely inexpensive. And the fine reel, even after many a beverage bottle is empty and recycled, will continue to be a tackle item to behold.
Maybe Im just cheap because Im still in school..... i have a greys right now that i really like alot i got it and the TFO rod for 139 with line and backing. If you going to go big go big i guess