The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Especially when in school but at other times in life too one sometimes best be frugal. This is a personal situation issue and not a rationale to critically evaluate what constitutes quality. Someday you may be fishing high-end tackle you will appreciate it even more for having started with affordable gear. That is the way it has been for many of us. Good luck.
jaybo41 and wishiniwerfishin like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 AM

socal rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Some knowledgeable people hanging out around here! I sent Ms. Santa my final Christmas wish list. I actually like liked both the Hatch 4 Plus Finatic and the Galvin T5. I'm now concerned that both may be too heavy for the Sage One 5 wt.

I like the design and weight of the Waterworks/Lamson ULA Force SL. I just am not loving the aesthetics of the reel. It just looks a little too "industrial" for my taste. I like a little more organic look when I'm in the middle of the Madison or Snake River.

I figure either of the others are OK by me. Initially I wanted an extra spool. The manager at my local fly store suggested spending another $100 or $150 and just getting another reel. Heck --- maybe I'll get two reels! I'll just have to wait for Christmas Day to see what Ms. Santa delivers. Thanks again. And I'll keep reading if anyone else has an opinion.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

USA-made only? Then for high tech, the Nautilus FWX. For classic elegance, the Saracione Mark IV.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

For a 5wt?......used Pflueger Medalist
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though the classic Ohio-built Medalist would be way too heavy for your rod, the Hatch 4+ should be perfect. The Waterworks/Lamson reels that you don't care for anyway, I don't either as I consider their aspect ratio to be too wide (except perhaps for the new Speeedster). The Hatch, Nautilus and Hardy DD are superior reels in any event. We all are in admiration of Ms. Santa.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal rob View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Some knowledgeable people hanging out around here! I sent Ms. Santa my final Christmas wish list. I actually like liked both the Hatch 4 Plus Finatic and the Galvin T5. I'm now concerned that both may be too heavy for the Sage One 5 wt.
I am fishing a T6 on a Winston BIIX 7100 and while there are other options much lighter I wouldn't trade that setup for anything. The BIIX Is a very light rod as you likely know. In fact, when I first got the rod, I had it paired with a Lamson Velocity, then upgraded my reel. I actually prefer it with the weight of the T6. A T5 is a wonderful choice for that rod if you ask me, but I am obviously biased towards Galvan Reels. The Velocity is now relegated to backup duty.

If not Galvan, you might want to consider throwing Abel into the mix. The couple that I own are wonderful reels. A 5N Would be a great match for that rod and they do offer a Bronze finish.

I haven't fished with Bauer, Nautilus or Hatch, but know they are well regarded.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Especially when in school but at other times in life too one sometimes best be frugal. This is a personal situation issue and not a rationale to critically evaluate what constitutes quality. Someday you may be fishing high-end tackle you will appreciate it even more for having started with affordable gear. That is the way it has been for many of us. Good luck.
I couldn't agree more Sweetandsalt. There was a time, early into my fly fishing journey when I'd look at high end rods and reels and think---NO WAY would I pay that much for tackle. As I've gone through life, advanced my career I now appreciate both situations--humble beginnings and my taste for fine tackle. That's not to say that I still don't hunt out the bargains when I can find them. Closeouts are a wonderful thing.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Though the classic Ohio-built Medalist would be way too heavy for your rod
Maybe so. A CFO III or IV would probably work. Or, I saw someone had a Orvis Presentation EXR III for sale over on speypages.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd go with the Ross Vexsis.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ross Evolution or Galvan Torque would be my choices. They work well, are made in the USA, and have great customer service should you need it. I've looked at more expensive reels, but don't need them for my freshwater 5wt and lighter rods. Besides, you're going to be pretty upset when you see the first scratch on The One, so why compound that sorrow with a scratched $500 reel?

The important thing is getting the spool size right (on a good reel, of course). I think people tend to buy reels that are too small for fishing, or spools that are too wide. I like to be able to reel in my line quickly without worrying about the last 10 feet jamming. The Torque and Evolution reels are all about the same weight, so I usually fish with a No.2 on my 4 wts, and a 3.5 on 5 and 6 wts.

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This is my hands down favorite for anything 5wt. :

Tibor Light Reels Finishes

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/