The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM

socal rob is on a distinguished road
Default What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

I'm going to ask Ms. Santa for a new setup. I already know i want to ask for a Sage One 5 wt. But I'm having difficulty deciding which reel to ask for. First I had three ideas. Then after a second trip to the local fly shop I went to five possibilities. I just got back and think I'm down to two now. The five were 1. Sage 4250 in bronze 2. Hatch 4 Plus Finatic (Clear with Green) 3. Waterworks LS2 II Litespeed 4. Waterworks F2 X SL ULA Force 5. Galvan T5 in bronze. The two I think I have it narrowed down to are the Galvan and the Hatch. I really wanted USA made (just wanting to support USA manufacturing). I decided the Waterworks reels were just a little too industrial for my current tastes. Any suggestions among the last two for matching to the Sage One.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

check out the new lamson speedster-

Lamson Speedster « The Waterworks Lamson

yet another option

casey

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

oh, welcome to the forum btw

ARFE
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Reel Should I Ask Ms. Santa to bring me with a Shiny New Sage One Rod?

Galvan makes a nice reel. A lot of guys swear by the T5.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Yikes, I hope you didn't ask too late! I think my wife had most of her shopping done by October Sorry I can't help with your decision as I've never handled those reels; good names though so you probably won't be disappointed with either one. Especially good choice of rod!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So Rob, you're new here........ Welcome to the forum. Generally we don't make out too well with getting people to buy what we tell them too. But, Abel & Bauer are American made and although I like both makes I don't own any. That is always subject to change any year though. There's also Ross I think they are still USA reels.

Welcome to the forum I hope you stick around,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

One of the main things I would consider in a sub-three ounce rod is matching it up to a reel that is also light in weight. A Nautilus FWX at under 4 ounces would make for an awesome rig. Besides Nautilus, Lamson makes some nice, light, American made reels. Hardy and Sage market good, light weight reels too if point of manufacture doesn't matter to you.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Ross vexis
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My first pick for a 5wt would be an bel Super 5N, second would be a Hatch Monsoon 4+. I am actually in the market for a new 5wt reel for a rod I am putting together and the four reels on my shopping list are the Super 5N, Monsoon 4+, Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the Galvan T5. To be honest I would be happy with any of them, my choice will most likely be decided on which one I can find for the best deal.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM
sbreech

Id go with either the Hatch Finatic Plus or a Nautilus FWX. Both light, super-built, durable USA made reels with sealed drags.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
imxer and sweetandsalt like this.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have several Galvan Torques, including the T5. Great reels and virtually bomb-proof. I have also heard great things about the Finatic and the FWX. All great reels, it may just come down to price, weight (I think the FWX is the lightest and the Finatic is the heaviest), and aesthetics. Many shops will include a free line with any of these reels. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
mcnerney and sbreech like this.