The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough
Default T&T vector 904-3... Looking for some reel and line experience :)

Hi all, My name is DJ and I have been a member on this forum for a few months now. This past fall I found my self purchasing a lovely T&T Vector 904-3. Unfortunately at the time of the purchase I was not able to purchase a reel. I borrowed my fathers orvis bbs III and have been making due with that. I would like to set this baby up before the spring. I am an all around fisherman, drys, nymphs and an occasional streamer. Med. to large rivers for trout. I was wondering if anyone may have any insight to a reel that would be the perfect mate for this baby. I am also curious if anyone has any insight into lines.. Like if I may benefit from a gpx taper or if rio gold is the way to go. I have been told that the best thing to do is try equipment first hand but i am in an area which has a shortage of fly shops. I will note that I do like the LA look and my current choices would have to be:

1.) Nautilus FWX
2.) Hardy dd
3.) Galvan rush
4.) Ross evo LT
Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: T&T vector 904-3... Looking for some reel and line experience :)

All 4 reel choices are good ones. I own 1 & 2 and have very high regard for both of them. T&T makes very fine rods but I have no experience with Vector. You are totally correct that trying a few differnent lines is optimal. Failing the resources for that, I recomend calling T&T and discussing line choice with them...they may say right off the line they used in development, or at least if they favor a straight WF4 or 4.5F. Keep us posted with what you learn and continue to participate.
imxer likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to call t&t and hear what they have to say. Would you be willing to offer me some comparison between the hardy and the nautilus reel? They are my two favorites currently. I would appreciate any pros/cons you may be able to offer.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have #3 and #4 reels, and they are perfect on my 4wt rods. I use GPX for everything except small dry flies, and even then I only use a true 4wt when fishing for native trout on one stream in particular. The Ross Evo looks nicer, but the Galvan Rush is nice looking and works great. Both have drags that have a wide range, without any abrupt changes that some reels have (Sage 4000 series comes to mind).
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Frank, thank you for your input. Which size evo would you prefer for a 9 footer.. 1.5 or 2? I have been reading that a lot of people do not agree with the manufacturers recommendations. Also as far as the gpx.. Do you find it hard to roll cast?

Last edited by djamtime; 12-23-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

A #2 in either reel fits a 4wt line and backing perfectly. The GPX does everything well. I use SA's Mastery Trout 4wt when using tiny drys and 6X tippet for spooky trout. Most of tne time I use 4wt GPX with a Sage ZXL rod, and hand tied leaders. It'll turn over a woly bugger at any distance, and lay a #16 elk hair caddis down gently. Good stuff
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks Frank
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM

As an update to our previously discussed thread, I called T&T. I spoke with a guy named Troy, he was very polite. His opinion was to go with the GPX. His reasons were that the rod is on the faster side, and he was very fond of the SA line coating. So as we stand I do believe i'm going to purchase a black nautilus fwx 3/4, and a spool of gpx.. Now all I have to decide is whether to go with the textured or the smooth finish... Anyone have any experience?