The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankB2
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By FrankB2
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lamson Litespeed - what year is this reel?

I am trying to figure out what generation/year this older Litespeed reel is. And if anyone has experience with it, please share.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed - what year is this reel?

Looks like the model that was just replaced this year, so a 2008-2011.

Edit: That might be two models back: http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fishing-r...litespeed.html
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

Edit: That might be two models back: Lamson litespeed - Fly Fishing Forums
Yes, I agree, it is two models back from the current models.

Larry
dean_mt likes this.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I found a used one that's in good shape and the price is reasonable for a Lamson. But it's kind of a weird look, I can't decide if I like it.

Anyway, the thing I'm concerned with in buying older used reels is the availability of finding spare spools.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it has too much going against it for you to feel comfortable using it. I've had reels thatI was afraid to use, and sold them....usually at a loss. Two were Abel TR's in perfect shape, and I was afraid they'd get scratched. They were both new, and bought for a great price, but I was always afraid
they would get a nick. After twirling them in the living room for a month or two, I sold them both.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, a first generation. i have this reel and love it
as far as spools, the auction site has them up quite frequently.

casey
dean_mt likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

Edit: That might be two models back: Lamson litespeed - Fly Fishing Forums
It is the original first-generation version of the Litespeed. I have one just like it. It is exactly the same reel as the one that was discontinued in 2011, except for the pattern of the cutouts. However, the very earliest ones did not have stainless steel drag clutches and could seize up in saltwater. Lamson will replace the non-stainless clutch with a stainless one for just the shipping cost if you send it back to the factory. The clutches have different color parts so you can tell them apart. If you call the Lamson 800 customer service line they can tell you which clutch you have.

Mine has done some tough duty on Atlantic salmon over the years and has always performed flawlessly. Like a lot of other large arbor models, one caveat is that, because of the shallow configuration of the spool, you have to be careful to reel your line back in evenly so it doesn't bunch up in one spot and bind against the reel frame.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Frank, I'm not afraid of scratches, but if it's that nice of a reel, now I'm more interested!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Like a lot of other large arbor models, one caveat is that, because of the shallow configuration of the spool, you have to be careful to reel your line back in evenly so it doesn't bunch up in one spot and bind against the reel frame.
I am not familiar with this model, however, an endemic flaw in Waterworks products has been this dramatically poor aspect ratio issue. I have railed against this repeatedly and, if this reel is wider than one inch, I discourage you from using it on your new rod you are building even if it is FREE!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If I'm not mistaken, the first generation Litespeed was soon reconfigured when it was found palming it on running fish could be dangerous to your hand!