The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Reels

I dont understand. Why are abel reels so much more expensive? Can the drag system really make that much of a difference?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abel Reels

Abel reels are very nicely finished, machined from bar stock to very close tolerances and are some of the nicest reels around. I own a super 8 and use it for saltwater fishing for lines up to size 10. As far as the drag goes, its superb.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
I dont understand. Why are abel reels so much more expensive? Can the drag system really make that much of a difference?
You can buy a nice looking large arbor bar stock reel from Great Bay Rods that is nice looking and has machined one way clutch bearing system on them...zero backlash, even with the drag set to zero, and a fully sealed carbon fiber drag system and positive spool lock up for $100 for reels in 3/4 weight and 5/6 weight. These drags are used on tuna and even bigger fish for saltwater fish in Australia in 7/8 and 9/11 weights. Using them for a steelhead or salmon of a lifetime is a non issue.

But these reels dont have the anodizing of Abel, they are not made in the USA, it is the difference between driving a Hyundai versus a Mercedes. What Would you rather drive, a $12k car or a $100k car? Functionally they are about the same, but the craftsmanship by a US maker? the better craftsmanship? The better anodization? Plus, buying a product manufactured in the USA supports a manufacturer job in the USA. Something very important to think about when making your purchases in these times of recession, and talk of unemployment.
rockriver and coug like this.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
Yes, the drag can make that much of a difference... depending on what you're fishing for. But the drag isn't the only factor. The quality of the materials, the quality of manufacture and the r & d that goes into a reel are just as important.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ckalanik,

If you can afford to buy an Able or Tibor reel it is money well spent. These are lifetime reels for the most sever saltwater fishing. When you are done with it, your son can use it for another lifetime. Able still uses a cork based drag that is as good as it gets.

Frank
coug likes this.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi ckalanik,

If you can afford to buy an Able or Tibor reel it is money well spent. These are lifetime reels for the most sever saltwater fishing. When you are done with it, your son can use it for another lifetime. Able still uses a cork based drag that is as good as it gets.

Frank
Frank is right, Able is a work of art to be cherished, other reels may be just as functional but are merely that, functional. It is like someone asking why buy a original Picasso when they can buy a reproduction for $10?

Is cork based really better than carbon fiber based? I heard carbon fiber disc drags were better.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I have the Abel Super 8 , a Tibor Gulfstream and a Billy Pate Tarpon, i use all three in saltwater fishing for tarpon, bonefish, stripers and false albacore. All of them have a cork drag that can be tightened til the hook pulls or something else breaks---how much better do they have to be?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

True confession time.

I gave my wife an Abel 5N (large arbor, narrow spool configuration) for her 5 wt. rod just after Christmas. It was a recommendation from my local Fly shop. I myself usually fish a Ross Evolution 2.0 on my 5 wt. and I like it just fine.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I swapped rods with her and, man, that Abel is a really nice reel! It simply feels like a quality instrument. Both with line coming in and going out. The drag is silky smooth and the feel is simply solid and confidence building.

Based on this very limited experience (I'm almost ready to give her rod back to her), I think that Abel reels are probably well worth the money. As for me, I'm now headed for an Abel Creek for my 7'6" 3 wt., which I use for small stream fishing - and I'm really looking forward to getting on the water with it!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM

GLuXuRy is on a distinguished road

my paps and i both use Ables

we both love them

but dont go broke buying one .. get it if you can afford it
Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you want a great reel with a cork drag, Abel is easily one of the top three options. All three of those top options will be priced about like the Abel. (Pate is an exception, but the lack of expensive porting makes them pretty heavy too.)

There is an ongoing debate about whether cork or sealed synthetic drag is best, but for a long time it will be true that cork drag fly reels have landed more big fish on a fly rod.

It is also undeniable that cork drags require a bit more maintenance: you MUST completely back the drag off after each use to prevent compression of the cork, and you MUST occasionally treat the cork with neatsfoot oil to keep it from drying out. Cork drags aren't nearly so effective when all the life has been squashed out of them or when they are so dry they're crumbly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.