The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM

rogerchriswell is on a distinguished road
Default Sage ONE / Xi3 ORVIS HYDROS

I am currently try to make my decision on a new fly rod i have been looking at the Sage xi3 and the one I really like them both but i am trying to figure what would be the best for me to get i mostly fish for reddrum and sea trout once in a while i will fish for fresh water bass so i will be looking at getting the rod in an 8 or 7 wt and as for the orvis hydros what do you think about that for a reel
please feel free to let me know what you think good or bad
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage ONE / Xi3 ORVIS HYDROS

The Xi3 is a great rod, tough as nails, and has an un-rivaled pedigree, but not a light weight rod. The Orvis Helios H2 is an awesome rod and feels feather light in the hand. As far as the "one" ....can't give much of an opinion on it as I've never thrown one.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The one is a great caster. You can definitely feel that transition and technology that it has built in it. I would definitely recommend the h2 and the one.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I too am a ONE advocate and you could look at G.Loomis NRX too. Hydros is too plebeian a reel to mate with such rods if I may express elitism commensurate with this class of rods.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'd get the H2.

No, I wouldn't.

I don't need to cast far to catch fish. I just want to cast soft.

I'm about to die with lust for an Orvis Superfine Touch. My very dreams are haunted by this rod.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Superfine Touch is not available in the 8-weight size the questioner as inquiring about. And, for the record I do fish a Hydros reel just not in the larger 8-weight size or on the saltwater flats type rods. Nautilus NV, Hatch and Hardy Fortuna are some quality super reliable reels to consider.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

No, I'd get the Superfine in a 4wt,,or a 3wt. I have no use for an 8wt, ,,that's why I said I'd not get the H2.