The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By baseman1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Reel time question

I tried the world of google but no answers. I come to my family of fly fisher people to help me find out what this reel is:

I have a small fly reel with no marking other than AR Crookshank. The crank mechanism is not centered but off set. Any idea's?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Reel time question

Any thoughts? It seems to be about the size for a 0 or 1 wt rod.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That looks almost exactly like a Hendryx 40 (yard) reel that I have.
I had it appraised once and the guy told me that they were used either for bait or fly fishing and that it wasn't worth much... maybe 10 bucks.
They're tiny. You can barely fit your finger in between the spindle and the pillar.
Hendryx (later Winchester) made millions of 'em

http://books.google.com/books?id=o8H...20reel&f=false
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks Rip. I always appreciate the info I get here. I think it will become part of a decorative rod I am putting together for the wall in my room in our new house (when we get a new house). I`m going to mount my great-grandfathers 2 homemade rods in a x format like people do with swords complete with reels and a fly he tied on each.
imxer likes this.