The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galvan Brookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
lead tape from the golfing industry .
Where do you get that from? That is way better and cheaper sounding than zonker lead or suspendots.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

We have a demo here at the shop I work at and they are really nice. Not to mention as stated above it is made here in the USA and its less expensive then the Sage Click. I would just tell you to wait until your local shop has them and buy it there!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Where do you get that from? That is way better and cheaper sounding than zonker lead or suspendots.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040211/golfsmith-high-density-lead-tape-1-2-x-75/?lcode=CI&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=30040211%20N%2FA& prof=21&camp=7814&affcode=cr545521&cid=22856681591 &networkType=search&tcode=GOOGLE&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-All+Product+Listings-_-{keyword}&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfsmith.com%2Fpro duct%2F30040211%2Fgolfsmith-high-density-lead-tape-1-2-x-75%2F%26lcode%3DCI%26ci_src%3D17588969%26ci_sku%3D 30040211%20N%2FA&gclid=CLiz1sDs0bQCFQVgMgodwTQA9w
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting concept from the Galvans. Functionally it looks as though you could really tailor the drag settings perhaps to some fine tolerances. The downside that I can see in this is the allen wrench would need to be in possession to do so. Not sure how I feel about this one, but I absolutely love the other Galvan reels I own. The Rush series is often overlooked yet has the same drag as the Torque. Butter smooth drag, outstanding CS and made in the US.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.golfsmith.com/search?s=lead+tape
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, the Galvan Brookie looks really nice. Not a terrible price either. Bet it would go perfect on my winston BIIt. But I am to much of a cheapskate to pony up $220 for a fly reel. Even one as sweet looking as that.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
We have a demo here at the shop I work at and they are really nice. Not to mention as stated above it is made here in the USA and its less expensive then the Sage Click. I would just tell you to wait until your local shop has them and buy it there!
Do you know if the drag is one way or both incoming and outgoing, and is the spool on a bearing or a shaft. The closest shop that would carry something like this would be 5 or 6 hrs south of me.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
Do you know if the drag is one way or both incoming and outgoing, and is the spool on a bearing or a shaft. The closest shop that would carry something like this would be 5 or 6 hrs south of me.
My advice, next week call Galvan Fly Reels...

I did it once and was literally put on the phone with the guy who designed the reel "Torque" I was asking about...

You can't get any better information than that!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
The drag is both ways and has suprisingly more drag then I think you would ever need in many trout situations.

As for the spool it sits on a shaft. I will take a picture and post it up here for you in a minute!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry about the poor quality just took the pics with my phone while here at the shop. Hope it helps!
newby likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I am about to order one of these with a extra spool for on a 3wt and a 4wt. Has anyone got one out on the water in the last month or so? Any reliability or fragility issues so far?

Thank you.