The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Galvan Brookie (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/307040-galvan-brookie.html)

bear 007 01-04-2013 06:07 PM

Galvan Brookie

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this reel, its listed on Leland's website but I can't find anything else on it, maybe their just making it exclusively for them.The drag is adjustable internally, I'm just curious whether or not the its just for spool tension or one-way.

surface film 01-04-2013 06:18 PM

Re: Galvan Brookie

It's a brand new reel, my guess is the specifications will be up on their site shortly...

It appears to be Galvan's take on a click & pawl design, but with a twist and some amount of adjustment in the tension.

I am sure being made by Galvan, they will rock!

bear 007 01-05-2013 09:02 AM

I'm thinking this one or a sage click for my 3 wt. Winston.

comeonavs 01-05-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear 007 (Post 513267)
I'm thinking this one or a sage click for my 3 wt. Winston.

Word of warning, I have a older Sage Click 3200,new Sage ClickII, Lamson Purist. While I love the reels IMO they only balance well on super light rods. They feel great on my TXL and sub 2.2oz rods but on my ZXL, Elkhorn,Zaxis rods they feel to light.

Before buying a 2oz reel I would take it in the shop and see how it feels on your rod. I made the mistake and didn't. I bought a Purist for my ZXL , was all excited and got it on the water and was disappointed how the swing weight felt. I put that same purist on my TXL and loved it.

Your WT is super light so it should feel good, but don't repeat my mistake.

bear 007 01-05-2013 10:24 AM

I don't have the rod yet, its on its way, Winston Biix 8'6" 3wt., its listed at 2 9/16oz, Ive been looking at a Click on ebay with an Sage quiet double taper for a decent price, its due in 3 hrs. Maybe I should hold off, I have no way to test this reel on the rod, the closest dealer is 5hrs south of here. Thanks for the heads up!!

comeonavs 01-05-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear 007 (Post 513290)
I don't have the rod yet, its on its way, Winston Biix 8'6" 3wt., its listed at 2 9/16oz, Ive been looking at a Click on ebay with an Sage quiet double taper for a decent price, its due in 3 hrs. Maybe I should hold off, I have no way to test this reel on the rod, the closest dealer is 5hrs south of here. Thanks for the heads up!!

You know used for a decent price it is worth a roll of the dice as you can always sell it if need be.

I have a 7'6"ZXL that even tough shorter weighs the same as that Winston. I ended up putting a Ross Evolution 0 on it and I love the way it feels.my Evo is the older one so in the new LT version I would have out an Evolution1 on it.

I like my Sage Clicks alot so you might love it too.

wt bash 01-05-2013 11:19 AM

If you pull the trigger and find the balance is off down the road, lead tape from the golfing industry can help that. Wrap enough on the spool then line it up.

comeonavs 01-05-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 513311)
If you pull the trigger and find the balance is off down the road, lead tape from the golfing industry can help that. Wrap enough on the spool then line it up.

Wow great idea....I used to be a custom club fitter, can't believe I never thought of that:eek:

surface film 01-05-2013 11:55 AM

One thing you may consider...

The Sage reel is made in South Korea

Galvan is made in USA

To some that may not matter, to some it would :)

bear 007 01-05-2013 12:15 PM

I think I'm going to wait and get some more info on the Galvin, I've got all winter. Thanks everyone for the help.